1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frictionless plane at angle of theta=69degrees

1. Sep 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A table is tilted at an angle of θ = 69° with respect to the vertical. Find the magnitude of the new acceleration of block 1. Mass of the block 1 which is on the incline of the plan is 6. Mass of block 2 which is hanging freely from the pulley is 3.9.

2. Relevant equations

F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew the free body diagram and started working on block one and set the x axis parallel to the plane and have the y axis perpendicular to make it easier. Fnet,alongx=T-Wtan(theta)=m1(a). Then I went on to work on Fnet,alongy=.. and it started looking really complicated. Not sure if I am approaching it correctly.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2011 #2
    I am struggling to grasp the problem definition. I can understand that there is a table, which makes an angle of [itex]69^{\circ}[/itex] with the vertical. It initially as a block M_{1} on the table at rest, and you wish to know the net acceleration. I do not understand your reference to a pulley and block 2, where is the pulley?

Could you also expand on what T and W are?

From what I can see you should have 2 forces acting on the mass, M1. So for your Fnet_along y there should be a maximum of two terms?

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook