Fried my power supply by doing a bad thing

In summary: Maybe to get four other voltage sources?In summary, a Multicomp 0-30V 0-5 amp power supply was used as a battery charger and worked well until it was hooked up backwards, causing it to malfunction. Despite no fuses blowing, the power supply now immediately goes into current limit at any voltage over 0.1 volts. The cause of this issue could be a damaged or short-circuited component, such as a reverse protection diode or voltage regulator transistor. The power supply also has multiple circuit boards and visible wires, which could be used for different voltage sources and dissipative regulation. A thorough visual inspection and possibly replacing damaged components may help resolve the issue
Baluncore said:
High-voltage stick rectifiers were made from silicon rectifier pellets, stacked end to end.
I recall those. You could lose a few and get by. But too many go missing from the stack and that is inviting trouble.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Averagesupernova said:
I recall those. You could lose a few and get by. But too many go missing from the stack and that is inviting trouble.
Each diode pellet was similarly leaky, like having a parallel resistor, so the reverse voltage was shared equally by all the diodes in the stack. The least leaky diode would drop the most voltage and so go short first, followed by a cascade of failures as each carried a greater voltage burden than before.

The 1S2 EHT tripler tube had much going for it. It wore an aluminium cap, that made the dust stand on end.

Likes hutchphd