Friedrich's Problem 3a: Asymptotic Relation and Exact Solution in ODEs

• MHB
  • Thread starter Alone
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a problem in Omalley's Singular Perturbation Methods for ODEs, known as "Friedrich's problem." The question is how to determine the asymptotic relation of the solution, which is given as $x(t,\epsilon)\sim e^{1-t}-e^{1-t/\epsilon}$ as $\epsilon \to 0$ uniformly in $t\in [0,1]$. There is a discussion about the exact solution and how to compute the limit, with references to the book and an outline of the solution. Eventually, the solution is provided and it is confirmed that the asymptotic relation is correct.
Alone

I have a question regarding problem 3a on page 9 in Omalley's Singular Perturbation Methods for ODEs, regarding what he called "Friedrich's problem".
I am not sure how did they get the asymptotic relation: $x(t,\epsilon) \sim (\exp(1-t)-\exp(1-t/\epsilon))$ as $\epsilon \to 0$ uniformly in $t \in [0,1]$.
I get that the solution is
\begin{gather}\nonumber x(t,\epsilon)=(1/(\exp((-1+\sqrt{1-4\epsilon})/(2\epsilon))-\exp((-1-\sqrt{1-4\epsilon})/(2\epsilon)))\\ \nonumber (\exp(((-1+\sqrt{1-4\epsilon})/(2\epsilon))t)-\exp(((-1-\sqrt{1-4\epsilon})/(2\epsilon))t)).
\end{gather}
Now if I am not mistaken I need to show that: $\lim_{\epsilon \to 0, \\ t \in [0,1]} x(t,\epsilon)/(e^{1-t}-e^{1-t/\epsilon})=1$
The part of exponents with $-\sqrt{1-4\epsilon}$ vanishes when $\epsilon \to 0$, and $e^{-t/\epsilon}\to 0$ as $\epsilon \to 0$, but other than that I don't see how to show that the limit approaches 1.
Obviously there's l'HOPITAL there, but I don't see how many times should I use l'HOPITAL?

For those who don't have the book I'll iterate the problem:
3a.
Consider the two-point problem:
$$\epsilon \ddot{x}+\dot{x}+x=0 , t\in [0,1], $$
$$x(0)=0, x(1)=1$$
Determine the exact solution and show that:
$x(t,\epsilon)\sim e^{1-t}-e^{1-t/\epsilon}$ as $\epsilon \to 0$ uniformly in $t\in [0,1]$.

Any pointers on how to compute the limit?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alan said:

I have a question regarding problem 3a on page 9 in Omalley's Singular Perturbation Methods for ODEs, regarding what he called "Friedrich's problem".
I am not sure how did they get the asymptotic relation: $x(t,\epsilon) \sim (\exp(1-t)-\exp(1-t/\epsilon))$ as $\epsilon \to 0$ uniformly in $t \in [0,1]$.
I get that the solution is
\begin{gather}\nonumber x(t,\epsilon)=(1/(\exp((-1+\sqrt{1-4\epsilon})/(2\epsilon))-\exp((-1-\sqrt{1-4\epsilon})/(2\epsilon)))\\ \nonumber (\exp(((-1+\sqrt{1-4\epsilon})/(2\epsilon))t)-\exp(((-1-\sqrt{1-4\epsilon})/(2\epsilon))t)).
\end{gather}
Now if I am not mistaken I need to show that: $\lim_{\epsilon \to 0, \\ t \in [0,1]} x(t,\epsilon)/(e^{1-t}-e^{1-t/\epsilon})=1$
The part of exponents with $-\sqrt{1-4\epsilon}$ vanishes when $\epsilon \to 0$, and $e^{-t/\epsilon}\to 0$ as $\epsilon \to 0$, but other than that I don't see how to show that the limit approaches 1.
Obviously there's l'HOPITAL there, but I don't see how many times should I use l'HOPITAL?

For those who don't have the book I'll iterate the problem:
3a.
Consider the two-point problem:
$$\epsilon \ddot{x}+\dot{x}+x=0 , t\in [0,1], $$
$$x(0)=0, x(1)=1$$
Determine the exact solution and show that:
$x(t,\epsilon)\sim e^{1-t}-e^{1-t/\epsilon}$ as $\epsilon \to 0$ uniformly in $t\in [0,1]$.

Any pointers on how to compute the limit?

I think when they say 'determine the exact solution' they mean the composite asymptotic solution. I will give you a brief outline of what is required. As $\epsilon$ is multiplying the highest order term we have a singular perturbation problem so have multiple layers.

For the outer layer no rescaling is required. Substitute in the approximation $x(t)\approx x_0+\epsilon x_1+...$. This gives a leading order problem as
$$x_0'+x_0=0$$
Solving this, with the initial condition of the RHS of the interval gives the solution $x_0(t)=\exp(1-t)$.

Now for the inner layer. Rescale by setting $\tau=t/\epsilon^\alpha$ and substitute in asymptotic expansions (we now have $X(\tau)$ rather than $x(t)$) and use the chain rule. This gives
$$\epsilon^{1-2\alpha}(X_0+...)''+\epsilon^{-\alpha}(X_0+...)'+(X_0+...)=0$$

Balancing the coefficients tells us that $\alpha=1$, so we have a leading order problem
$$X_0''+X_0'=0$$
Solving this with the LHS initial condition gives the solution $X_0(\tau)=A(1-\exp(-\tau))$.

Now we need to match these. The matching condition says that
$$\lim_{t\rightarrow 0} x_0(t)=\lim_{\tau\rightarrow\infty} X_0(\tau)$$
which we calculate to give $A=\exp(1)$ so the inner solution is $X_0(\tau)=\exp(1)-\exp(1-\tau)$.

Together we get the composite solution
$$x\approx x_0(t)+X_0(t/\epsilon)-x_0(0)=\exp(1-t)+\exp(1)-\exp(1-t/\epsilon)-exp(1)=\exp(1-t)-\exp(1-t/\epsilon)$$
as required.

I have skipped over a good bit of the workings here so you will still need to learn the intricacies of singular perturbation methods. The book 'Introduction to the foundations of applied mathematics' by Mark Holmes has similar examples and explains it very well also. I actually just used the book to learn this methods myself. Hope that helps.

Carla

Well in the end I solved it with the exact solution, I had mistake in my previous calculations, but the asymptotic checks true.

And you can solve this question with the exact solution of the ODE.

Here's the solution if someone wants to check it.
Notice that $\lim_{\epsilon \to 0^+ , t \in [0,1]} \exp(-t/\epsilon)=0$
You just need to expand $\sqrt{1-4\epsilon}=1-2\epsilon+\mathcal{O}(\epsilon^2)$, and then calculate the limit:
$x(t,\epsilon)$ becomes after letting $\epsilon \to 0^+$
\begin{gather}(1/(\exp(-1)))(\exp(-t)).
\end{gather}
which is the same as: $\exp(1-t)$.

Last edited:

1. What is Friedrich's Problem 3a?

Friedrich's Problem 3a is a mathematical problem that deals with finding the asymptotic relation and exact solution for ordinary differential equations (ODEs). It was first proposed by German mathematician Karl Friedrich in the 19th century.

2. Why is Friedrich's Problem 3a important?

Friedrich's Problem 3a is important because it has practical applications in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and biology. The ability to find exact solutions and understand the asymptotic behavior of ODEs is crucial in modeling and predicting real-world phenomena.

3. What is an asymptotic relation in ODEs?

An asymptotic relation in ODEs refers to the behavior of the solution as the independent variable approaches a certain value, typically infinity or zero. It describes how the solution approaches a particular value or function as the independent variable becomes very large or very small.

4. How is the exact solution of an ODE found?

The exact solution of an ODE can be found by using various techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and series solutions. These methods involve manipulating the differential equation to isolate the dependent and independent variables and then solving for the dependent variable.

5. Are there any limitations to Friedrich's Problem 3a?

Yes, there are limitations to Friedrich's Problem 3a. It is only applicable to certain types of ODEs and may not provide a solution for more complex equations. Additionally, the asymptotic relation may not accurately represent the behavior of the solution in all cases.