From 000 to 999, probability exactly 1 digit is >5

• Thread starter Poopsilon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of exactly one digit being greater than 5 in a randomly chosen 3-digit number. The attempted solution uses the formula P(A ∪ B ∪ C) = P(A) + P(B) + P(C) - P(A ∩ B) - P(A ∩ C) - P(B ∩ C) + P(A ∩ B ∩ C) and subtracts the probability of having at least two digits greater than 5, resulting in a final probability of .372. However, a simpler approach is suggested, where the number of ways to select which place will hold the large digit is multiplied by the number of ways to fill in the large digit and the two small
Poopsilon

Homework Statement

If a 3-digit number (000 to 999) is chosen at random, find that probability that exactly 1 digit will be >5

The Attempt at a Solution

So basically I first look at the probability of at least 1 digit being greater than 5, taking into account multiple counting:

P(A ∪ B ∪ C) = P(A) + P(B) + P(C) - P(A ∩ B) - P(A ∩ C) - P(B ∩ C) + P(A ∩ B ∩ C).

Now the part where I'm a bit confused, I need to now subtract the probability of having at least two digits greater than 5. I'm inclined make the subtraction:

-[P(A ∩ B) + P(A ∩ C) + P(B ∩ C) + P(A ∩ B ∩ C)].

But now I'm afraid I've done some multiple counting again and so finally add:

3P(A ∩ B ∩ C)

This comes out to: 3(4/10) - 6(16/100) + 3(64/1000) = .372

Yet the back of the book is saying .432, where have I gone wrong? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a much simpler way to count them than that. Besides, I don't think you even want to count P(A ∪ B ∪ C). You want exactly one of them, not at least one of them. Just count the number of ways you can select which place will hold the large digit. Then multiply by the number of ways to fill in the large digit and the two small digits.

how about this
say first digit >5, we have 4 choices
for the 2nd and 3rd digit <=5, we have 6 choices for each
however cases where the 2nd and 3rd digit are repeated will be counted twice (? possible cases)
Then multiply to account for the cases where it was the 2nd or 3rd digit (only)that was >5

Excellent characterizations, much simpler, thanks (insert gender-neutral plural pronoun).

Hm ... I must be doing something wrong if .432 is the right answer. I look at it like this:

The chance of a digit being > 5 is 50% and then the chance of the other two being less < 5 at the same time is 50% each. SO ... one combination is 50%x50%x50% = 1/8 and there are 3 ways if it happening, so 3 x 1/8 = 3/8 = .375, not .432

Why is 3/8 not the right answer?

Because the chance of a digit being > 5 is 0.4 :P (6,7,8,9).

zoe-b said:
because the chance of a digit being > 5 is 0.4 :p (6,7,8,9).

doh !

1. What does the phrase "From 000 to 999" refer to in this context?

In this context, "From 000 to 999" refers to a range of three-digit numbers, starting from 000 and ending at 999.

2. What does the probability of "exactly 1 digit is >5" mean?

This phrase refers to the likelihood that out of the three digits in a three-digit number, only one of them is greater than 5.

3. How is the probability calculated for this scenario?

The probability can be calculated by finding the total number of three-digit numbers where exactly one digit is greater than 5, and dividing that number by the total possible combinations of three-digit numbers (which is 1000).

4. Can you provide an example of a three-digit number where exactly 1 digit is >5?

One example is the number 467, where the digit 6 is greater than 5, and the digits 4 and 7 are not.

5. Is the probability the same for all three-digit numbers?

No, the probability will vary depending on the range of numbers being considered. For example, if the range is narrowed down to only include numbers from 500 to 999, the probability will be higher compared to the probability for the entire range of 000 to 999.