From Mechanical Engineering to Cosmology: A Guide to Breaking into the Field

• Thread starter varun atri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmolgy
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of transitioning into the field of cosmology from a background in mechanical engineering. The speaker expresses interest in pursuing theoretical cosmology and receives suggestions to read books on the subject. The difficulty of finding a permanent job in this field is also mentioned.
varun atri
Hi guys,
I am a mechanical engineer. and i am working as a naval officer.. but i want to get into the profession of cosmology can anyone suggest me how to get into that profession as i hv done mechanical engineering.

Physics news on Phys.org
Theoretical Cosmology is an area where many sub-divisions of physics play important role, such as relativity, QFT, statistical, etc. (Not very much familiar with experimental aspect but I assume it's very much close to astrophysics.)
I would suggest you to have a look at Scott Dodelson's Modern Cosmology, since that pretty much gives you a taste of what research in cosmology feels like. Cosmology by S. Weinberg is also a good read, though it is more concentrated on the theoretical side.

thanx cloudy but cud i chang my profession.

I think a lot of factors have to be taken into considerations before such kind of big decisions, like age, family, financial considerations and many more.
I'm just a PhD candidate trying to finish his phd years so I can't give any advices on career path. From what I learned on this forum and facts from former graduates in my department, it's tough (really really tough) to find a permanent job in this field (theoretical cosmology).

Hello there,

As a fellow scientist, I can understand your interest in pursuing a career in cosmology. It is a fascinating field that combines physics, mathematics, and astronomy to study the origin and evolution of the universe.

To break into the field of cosmology, there are a few steps you can take. First, I would recommend brushing up on your knowledge of physics and mathematics, as they are the foundation of cosmology. You can also consider taking courses or attending workshops specifically related to cosmology.

Next, I would suggest networking with professionals in the field. Attend conferences, workshops, and seminars to meet and learn from experts in cosmology. This will also give you an opportunity to showcase your skills and passion for the subject.

Additionally, you may want to consider pursuing a graduate degree in cosmology or a related field, such as astrophysics or astronomy. This will provide you with a deeper understanding of the subject and allow you to conduct research in the field.

Another route you can take is to gain experience through internships or research assistant positions at universities or research institutions. This will not only give you hands-on experience in the field but also help you build a strong network of contacts.

Lastly, don't be afraid to reach out to professionals in the field and ask for their advice or mentorship. They may be able to offer valuable insights and guidance on how to break into the field.

I wish you all the best in your pursuit of a career in cosmology. It is a challenging but rewarding field, and I have no doubt that your background in mechanical engineering will bring a unique perspective to the table. Keep exploring and learning, and I am sure you will find your way into the world of cosmology.

Best,

1. How much education do I need to become a cosmologist?

To become a cosmologist, you typically need a minimum of a bachelor's degree in physics, astronomy, or a related field. However, many cosmologists also have a master's degree or PhD in a more specialized area of physics or astronomy.

2. What skills are required to be a cosmologist?

A strong background in math and physics is essential for a career in cosmology. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and computer programming skills are important for conducting research and analyzing data.

3. Can I work in cosmology without a degree?

While it is possible to work in the field of cosmology without a formal degree, it is highly recommended to have at least a bachelor's degree in a relevant field. Most research positions and higher-level jobs in cosmology require a minimum of a master's degree or PhD.

4. What type of research is involved in cosmology?

Cosmologists study the origins, structure, and evolution of the universe. This involves conducting observational and theoretical research, using data from telescopes and other instruments to study the properties of galaxies, dark matter, and dark energy.

5. Is there a demand for cosmologists?

There is a growing demand for cosmologists, particularly in the areas of research and academia. With advancements in technology and the growing interest in space exploration, there is a need for experts in cosmology to help us understand the mysteries of the universe.