From what dark matter in space consist of?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of dark matter in space and the unknown composition of it. The speaker mentions that there is evidence of its existence but no concrete answer as to what it is made of, potentially leading to a Nobel prize. The conversation concludes with a thank you and an invitation to express gratitude by liking the reply.
Dr.ahmad adnan
From what dark matter in space consist of?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Have you asked uncle google:biggrin:?

Well I don't know, but I suspect there might be a Nobel prize lurking behind that answer:wink:

Likes Dr.ahmad adnan and Emmanuel_Euler
no i have not

Short answer : we don't know. There is substantial evidence from a variety of different observations that it exists, but only hypotheses as to what it is made of - hence my comment about a possible Nobel prize.

Likes Emmanuel_Euler
Thanks for the answer

Likes Emmanuel_Euler and wabbit
wabbit said:
Short answer : we don't know. There is substantial evidence from a variety of different observations that it exists, but only hypotheses as to what it is made of - hence my comment about a possible Nobel prize.
You are right.

Likes Dr.ahmad adnan
thanks for the answer,i appreciate this

Dude if you want to thank a reply.
press like!

Likes Dr.ahmad adnan
You are welcome any time.

Likes Dr.ahmad adnan

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that makes up about 85% of the total matter in the universe. It is invisible and does not emit or absorb light, making it difficult to detect and study. Its existence is inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter.

2. What is dark matter made of?

The exact composition of dark matter is still a mystery. It is believed to be made up of subatomic particles that do not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation, hence its name "dark" matter. Some proposed candidates for dark matter particles include WIMPs (Weakly Interacting Massive Particles) and axions.

3. How is dark matter different from regular matter?

Dark matter and regular matter differ in several ways. Dark matter does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation, while regular matter does. It also does not experience the strong nuclear force, meaning it cannot form atoms like regular matter does. Additionally, dark matter is much more abundant in the universe than regular matter.

4. How is dark matter detected and studied?

Dark matter is detected and studied through its gravitational effects on visible matter. This can be done through observations of the rotation of galaxies, gravitational lensing, and the large-scale structure of the universe. Scientists also use particle accelerators and other experiments to try and directly detect dark matter particles.

5. What is the significance of studying dark matter?

Studying dark matter is crucial for understanding the structure and evolution of the universe. It also helps us understand the role of gravity in the universe and provides insights into the fundamental laws of physics. Additionally, understanding dark matter can have practical applications, such as in developing new technologies and energy sources.