Front end of an engineering design

In summary, the person was asking for help with putting together a front end engineering design. They were unsure of what it was, and google was not providing help. They hope that people here can help them out.
Tyst
Hi, I was wondering if anyone here knows (and could tell me) how to put together a front end engineering design. I've been asked to create one, have no idea what it is and so far google has been no help!

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
The term "front end" can mean a computer program for controlling a device. But there could be more meanings and a better explanation. I hope you were given more direction than just that...

Thank you Russ, I have been looking into how a particular machine works, and been asked to compile my findings into a front end engineering design report. I was initially thinking that 'front end' was just a non-standard reporting style, but perhaps i was wrong. Could i be being asked to put together a report on how to design a program to run the machine? Unfortunately i can't get official clarification for at least a week and i would like to have started, well... yesterday. Any further insights?

I have no idea about what they want, either. My (totally non-professional) approach would be to start gathering as much information as possible that is relevant to the project and make notes. Organize whatever you come up with in a manner that makes sense to you. That way, you have a head-start when you finally get confirmation of what the goal is.

I have never heard the term used in anything other than software packages , like Russ mentioned. However, after reading what you just wrote, it sounds to me like they just want a report on the overall workings of the machine. Perhaps the "front end" here is referring to the top level of the assembly and how it is interfaced with.

A "front end design" is a high-level design of a product; more usually of a system. Depending on the brief, it may show the layout of a processing plant, the key operating mechanisms of a machine, or a packaging layout of a consumer product.

While it may prove such issues as feasibility, scale, dimension, concept, cost etc, it doesn't get involved with the 'nuts and bolts' of the product, any in-depth calculations (other than to prove the basic premise), or detail of individual components/subsystems.

So you might have have a front end design of an overall product, then perhaps system schemes, then assembly drawings, then detailed component drawings.

It must be a British term!

Last edited:
Thank you everyone, helpful as can be :D

1. What is the front end of an engineering design?

The front end of an engineering design refers to the initial stages of the design process, where ideas and concepts are developed and evaluated. This can include brainstorming, research, and conceptualization of the design.

2. What are the key components of the front end of an engineering design?

The key components of the front end of an engineering design include problem identification, feasibility analysis, conceptual design, and requirements specification. These steps help to establish the scope and goals of the design and ensure that it is achievable.

3. Why is the front end of an engineering design important?

The front end of an engineering design is important because it sets the foundation for the entire design process. By thoroughly evaluating the problem, conducting research, and creating a solid conceptual design, engineers can ensure a successful and efficient design process.

4. How does the front end of an engineering design impact the final product?

The quality of the front end of an engineering design greatly impacts the final product. A well-developed front end can lead to a more efficient and effective design process, resulting in a high-quality and functional final product. On the other hand, a poorly executed front end can lead to delays, errors, and a subpar end product.

5. What are some common challenges in the front end of an engineering design?

Some common challenges in the front end of an engineering design include defining the problem, gathering accurate and relevant data, and managing time and resources effectively. Additionally, ensuring that all requirements and specifications are properly identified and addressed can also be a challenge in the front end of the design process.