Frost on roof window melts in lines

In summary, the conversation discusses the regular lines of frost melting on a glass roof window and explores potential reasons for this phenomenon, such as variations in glass thickness, streaks from water running down the window, and the reflection of sunlight off of a corrugated metal roof. The conversation concludes with the suggestion for further experimentation to determine the cause of the regular lines.
greypilgrim
Hi.

On a cold morning, I saw frost melting on my roof window. Why did it melt in regular lines? Might the glass be slightly wavy?

IMG_20210414_090954.jpg

Likes Leo Liu and Imager
Physics news on Phys.org
Hm ... interesting. Glass sheets do go under rollers during the creation process so maybe one of the rollers left just the tiniest differences in thicknesses along the surface.

Likes Leo Liu
Is that flat glass or a domed skylight (often plastic)?
phinds said:
Glass sheets do go under rollers during the creation process
Before float glass, 1960s?

Likes sophiecentaur
Glass. I assume plastic sheets are created the same way but do not know for sure.

Could there be streaks from water running down it? These might freeze preferentially.

Keith_McClary said:
Could there be streaks from water running down it? These might freeze preferentially.
Seems too regular for that

Likes sophiecentaur
Might it be that the vacuum between the glass is leak (is there an actual vacuum? Or just some special gas?) and you get these thermal convection cells? Maybe with some nice vertical vortex structures because of the slanted angle?

Arjan82 said:
(is there an actual vacuum?
No vacuum. The sheets would bend due to atmospheric pressure. There is a very modern design with very low pressure inside but it has stainless steel internal spacers. There was a posting about that on PF some while ago - not applicable here, I think.
It is a fascinating problem. I wonder if this is repeated on a daily basis and if it correlates with the windows being cleaned.
Could it be due to sunlight through bars on the roof or a similar effect due to an internal radiant heater? But it's a very fine pattern so perhaps not.
As usual, I suggest some experimentation. Stick a sheet of paper over half the window and see if the left and right sides still show the same pattern. If you can get to the upper glazing bar, try giving it a good (shiny) clean ( where you can't see); there could be some stripes of dirt / original packaging which dribble down the window. Examine the tiles above the window. Are they patterned?

Likes Arjan82
My guess is that the pattern is formed by sunlight reflecting off a corrugated metal roof during cold weather.

Likes sophiecentaur and Keith_McClary
Mister T said:
My guess is that the pattern is formed by sunlight reflecting off a corrugated metal roof during cold weather.
Not impossible but the pattern is very fine (in the scale of buildings) - the spacing would need to be less than a degree from a source tens of metres away.
If the effect were to be repeated often then the OP could investigate further.

Thanks for all the replies! I observed this after an especially cold night, which are rare now that summer is coming. I might have to wait half a year for further investigation...

Keith_McClary said:
This might actually be a good point. There is dirt on the upper half of the window that I usually keep covered by the shutters with streaks from running water in it (hard to photograph against the sky). They are far less regular though.

Likes sophiecentaur

1. Why does frost on a roof window melt in lines?

Frost on a roof window melts in lines because of the uneven distribution of heat on the window's surface. The lines are formed where there is a higher concentration of heat, causing the frost to melt faster in those areas.

2. Is it normal for frost on a roof window to melt in lines?

Yes, it is normal for frost on a roof window to melt in lines. As mentioned before, this is due to the uneven distribution of heat on the window's surface. Unless there is a significant difference in temperature or a malfunction in the window, melting frost in lines is a common occurrence.

3. Can melting frost in lines on a roof window cause damage?

In most cases, melting frost in lines on a roof window will not cause any damage. However, if the window is not properly sealed or there is a significant amount of moisture present, the melted frost can seep into the window and cause damage over time. It is important to regularly check and maintain your roof window to prevent any potential damage.

4. How can I prevent frost from melting in lines on my roof window?

To prevent frost from melting in lines on your roof window, you can try using a dehumidifier in the room where the window is located. This will help reduce the moisture in the air and prevent frost from forming in the first place. Additionally, you can also check for any gaps or leaks in the window and seal them to prevent warm air from escaping and melting the frost.

5. Are there any benefits to having frost melt in lines on a roof window?

There are no significant benefits to having frost melt in lines on a roof window. However, it can be a visual indicator of potential issues with the window, such as leaks or poor insulation. If you notice consistent patterns in the melting frost, it may be worth checking the window for any underlying problems.