Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FRW metric in higher dimensions (fast question?)

1. Feb 3, 2015 #1

ChrisVer

Gold Member

I was wondering if I can expand the FRW metric in d spatial dimensions, like:

[itex] g_{\mu \nu}^{frw} = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & - \frac{a^2(t)}{1-kr^2} & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & - a^2(t) r^2 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & -a^2 (t) r^2 \sin^2 \theta \end{pmatrix} \rightarrow g_{MN} = \begin{pmatrix} g_{\mu \nu}^{frw} & 0 \\ 0 & - 1_{(d-3) \times (d-3)} \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Or should I insert a ##-a^2 (t) ## for the rest too?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2015 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I haven't seen the FRW metric discussed for a different number of dimensions, but I would think the scale factor would have to be present in all the spatial terms.

4. Feb 3, 2015 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Agreed. You would break isotropy otherwise unless I am not thinking straight... For isotropy to hold, the FRW metric in spherica coordinates should be pretty straight forward to generalise - just replace ##d\Omega^2## by the metric for the appropriate unit sphere.

This of course relies on the assumption tha you want to be isotropic also in the extra dimensions.

5. Feb 3, 2015 #4

ChrisVer

Gold Member

I think you are right. I found a paper
    "Higher Dimensional FRW String Cosmological Models in a New Scalar-tensor Theory of Gravitation" where they added a fifth dimension in FRW with a term [itex] A^2(t) d \mu [/itex] instead of [itex]R^2(t)[/itex] to the original 3 spatial dimensions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook