Fuel per unit distance decreasing?

In summary: No distance is enough to accelerate to the speed of light. In other words, you need d=∞.In summary, the relativistic rocket will travel a larger distance for a shorter amount of time in its (he/she who travels) frame of reference, since time stops for the engine.
RobinSky
I was reading a link i found here on physicsforums called "The relativistic rocket".
There was lots of calculations of the required fuel for certain distances and such.

However, I understand that time→0 when our velocity v→c.
And that will mean we travel a larger distance for a shorter amount of time in our (he/she who travels) frame of reference, right?
During that time though, we are using fuel, so my question is, or maybe I should call this a statement, however. Doesn't this mean that the fuel required to travel a distance d also goes to zero?
Fuel required→0 when v→c because t→0
I mean, the engine "stops" in it's frame of reference (as time is felt for the engine) when v is c, right? Let's now say it's possible to reach the velocity c.
Let's say v is now (9999999999999/10000000000000)*c. If statement above is true, this velocity will give a very large distance traveled for a minimal used up fuel.
Or is all this nonsense?

Very thanks in advance.
/Robin Andersson

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't this mean that the fuel required to travel a distance d also goes to zero?

no, not in the frame of the rocket ship.

the engine "stops" in it's frame of reference (as time is felt for the engine) when v is c, right?

Naty1 said:

Could you care to explain how this could not be the case? I mean time stops for me because I move at a velocity close to c, so is the rocket ship, why wouldn't time decrease for the ship?

RobinSky said:
Could you care to explain how this could not be the case? I mean time stops for me because I move at a velocity close to c, so is the rocket ship, why wouldn't time decrease for the ship?
"Time for you" is called "proper time". Your proper time rate has not slowed down if you go fast relative to something else. Instead, it's the time rate of clocks that move fast relative to you that you interpret as being slowed down, if you presume that you are in rest.

RobinSky said:
I mean, the engine "stops" in it's frame of reference (as time is felt for the engine) when v is c, right? Let's now say it's possible to reach the velocity c.

No, the engine keeps working at the same rate always, in its own reference frame. It's slower only relative to someone else (say, someone staying on Earth).

RobinSky said:
During that time though, we are using fuel, so my question is, or maybe I should call this a statement, however. Doesn't this mean that the fuel required to travel a distance d also goes to zero?

You don't need fuel to travel. You only need fuel to accelerate. So "the fuel required to travel a distance d" doesn't make much sense.

someGorilla said:
No, the engine keeps working at the same rate always, in its own reference frame. It's slower only relative to someone else (say, someone staying on Earth).

You don't need fuel to travel. You only need fuel to accelerate. So "the fuel required to travel a distance d" doesn't make much sense.

Sorry for not beting clear, I ment that this distance d was not enough to accelerate to the speed of light. In my concept I'm trying to accelerate to the speed of light, and I was thinking how the engine would behave as time slows down as I reach the speed of light.
But now I'm just more confused since I thought everything slowed down, since you age much slower and such at such velocities relative a person, let's say, a person on earth...

RobinSky said:
Sorry for not beting clear, I ment that this distance d was not enough to accelerate to the speed of light. In my concept I'm trying to accelerate to the speed of light, and I was thinking how the engine would behave as time slows down as I reach the speed of light.
But now I'm just more confused since I thought everything slowed down, since you age much slower and such at such velocities relative a person, let's say, a person on earth...
No distance is enough to accelerate to the speed of light. In other words, you need d=∞.
And we both already explained the error you made for v<c.

The simplest explanation that may help to end your confusion is based on common sense: if you compare your watch with a reference clock on board, and if they were running at the same pace before take-off and they are not sensitive to acceleration, then they should still run in pace (that's what is meant with "proper time"). So, that kind of "time for you" must remain the same - it can't be any different. :smile:

Note that this fuel/distance effect is not specifically a relativistic effect. Under Newtonian physics the fuel per unit distance is monotonically decreasing also for constant thrust.

Ah yeah now I understand! This was actuall an answer to another question that I had in mind, thanks a lot for the help I appreciate it a lot. I remember a friend to me asking this sort of question while I explained the basics of relativity for him, how time slows down and such.
The question was if I will feel any difference in time, we both thought about it and came to a no actually, interesting though that I didn't apply this to the engine.

Thanks a lot! This is interesting!

1. What does "fuel per unit distance decreasing" mean?

Fuel per unit distance decreasing refers to the concept of using less fuel to travel a certain distance. This can be achieved through various methods such as using more efficient engines, reducing weight of the vehicle, and implementing better driving techniques.

2. How does fuel per unit distance decrease benefit the environment?

By decreasing the amount of fuel used to travel a certain distance, the emissions of harmful pollutants and greenhouse gases are reduced. This helps to mitigate the negative impact of transportation on the environment.

3. What are some common ways to decrease fuel per unit distance?

Some ways to decrease fuel per unit distance include using hybrid or electric vehicles, maintaining proper tire pressure, avoiding idling, and driving at a consistent speed. Regular vehicle maintenance and choosing the most efficient route can also help decrease fuel consumption.

4. Is decreasing fuel per unit distance only beneficial for vehicles?

No, decreasing fuel per unit distance can also be applied to other forms of transportation such as airplanes, trains, and ships. It can also be beneficial for energy production and industrial processes.

5. What are the economic benefits of decreasing fuel per unit distance?

Decreasing fuel per unit distance can lead to cost savings for individuals and businesses. It can also reduce reliance on fossil fuels, which are finite resources and subject to price fluctuations. Additionally, the decrease in emissions can help to avoid potential fines or taxes for exceeding environmental regulations.