1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function for y(x,t) wave some questions

1. Jun 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A wave travels along a string in the positive x-direction at 33 m/s. The frequency of the wave is 48 Hz. At x = 0 and t = 0, the wave velocity is 2.8 m/s and the vertical displacement is y = 3 mm. Write the function y(x, t) for the wave. (Use the following as necessary: x and t. Assume x and y are in m, and that t is in s.)

3. The attempt at a solution

y(x,t) = Acos(kx - wt)
    should be the formula

i'm assuming A = 0.003m but it is not so i don't know

w = 2 * pi * f (frequency)
    = 2 * pi * 48Hz
    = 301.59

k = w / v
    = 301.59 / 33(m/s)
    = 9.139

so what i have now is y(x,t) = Acos(9.139x - 301.59t + something)

how do i find the amplitude and the missing something if there is one?

thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2011 #2
    your vertical displacement y(x,t) would be 3mm since at t=0 and x=0 , y=3mm

y(x,t) = Acos( k(0) - w(0)) = A(1) = 3mm = 0.003m

what you have looks right to me. Sorry if its not to clear, it's been a long summer

4. Jun 29, 2011 #3

one example was this question

A wave travels along a string in the positive x-direction at 31 m/s. The frequency of the wave is 47 Hz. At x = 0 and t = 0, the wave velocity is 2.8 m/s and the vertical displacement is y = 3 mm. Write the function y(x, t) for the wave. (Use the following as necessary: x and t. Assume x and y are in m, and that t is in s.)

the answer was 0.0099 * sin(9.53*x - 295.31*t + 2.84)

i know how to get the k and w which was 9.53 and 295.31
    but i don't know how to get 0.0099 and 295.31 are
    thank you

i know how to get the k and w which are 9.

5. Jun 30, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Find the velocity of the piece of string at x=0, t=0, by taking the time derivative of your function. Then there two equations for the unknown amplitude A and phase constant (something:smile:)

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook