What is the Function of sin(x)?

• Thread starter Helicobacter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, there are various methods for calculating the sine function, including using Taylor series, numerical approximations, and the CORDIC method. The CORDIC method is commonly used in scientific calculators and can also be used to calculate other elementary functions.
Helicobacter
I searched my textbook and Wikipedia-D but I couln't find the function of sine composed with operations and values.

sin(x)=what?

I typed it in my graphing calculator but I can't really figure out the formula by only looking at the outputs. What operations does the calculator execute with my input x to spit out the output?

Thanks in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Helicobacter said:
I searched my textbook and Wikipedia-D but I couln't find the function of sine composed with operations and values.

sin(x)=what?

I typed it in my graphing calculator but I can't really figure out the formula by only looking at the outputs. What operations does the calculator execute with my input x to spit out the output?

Thanks in advance!

Is this what you are looking for?
[tex]sin(x)= \sum_{n=0}^{ \infty} \frac{(-1)^{2n}}{(2n+1)!} x^{2n+1} [/tex]

Otherwise you have to go back to Trigonometry and define the sine function in terms of a right triangle. There is no "closed-form" (aka "nice looking") function for the sine function.

-Dan

Last edited:
In other words, sin(x) is not an "algebraic" function.

I know there are tons of ways to approximate a sine function, the most obvious being taylor series and numerical solutions of y''+y=0, but does anyone know how the "average" scientific calculator does it? The "best" way I think is to first map the argument onto (0,2pi) and then take advantage of symmetry to make your interval (0,pi/2). Taking pi/2 as a worst case value, and using the macluauren series I needed to go up to x^19 to get a value "equal" to 1 within double floating point accuracy. Is this what a calculator does? My best guess is that calculates on a smaller interval than (0,pi/2) where the series converges faster and then uses various identities to go back up.
Of course I don't think taylor series are your only option. There are things like accelerated series. I believe brent and soloman have done work in quadratically convergent methods for elementary functions (exp,sin,cos,log). (R. P. Brent, Fast multiple-precision evaluation of elementary functions, J. ACM 23 (1976) 242-251)

I recall reading an article in College Math Journal, a publication of the MAA, that showed a very fast way to get sin x, most likely the method used by calculators. After a little bit of searching, I found the article was in the November 2001 issue: College Math Journal: Volume 32, Number 5, Pages: 330-333.

CORDIC: Elementary Function Computation Using Recursive Sequences
Neil Eklund
Using a single family of recursion relations, it is possible to calculate products, quotients, sines, cosines, arctangents, square roots, hyperbolic sines and cosines, logarithms, exponentials, and hyperbolic arctangents. That’s the way computers do it.

I have misplaced all my CMJ's, so that's about all I can dig up on it atm, besides the official CMJ website: http://www.maa.org/pubs/cmj.html

After looking on the internet a little bit I found the so called cordic method. It's been around for 40 years or so and was used on the first hand calculators. Check out the website: www.emesystems.com/BS2mathC.htm

1. What is the definition of sin(x)?

The sine function, denoted as sin(x), is a mathematical function that calculates the ratio of the side opposite to a given angle in a right triangle to the hypotenuse of the triangle.

2. What is the domain and range of sin(x)?

The domain of sin(x) is all real numbers, while the range is between -1 and 1, inclusive.

3. How is sin(x) related to the unit circle?

The sine function is closely related to the unit circle, as the y-coordinate of any point on the unit circle is equivalent to the sine value of the corresponding angle.

4. What are the key properties of sin(x)?

Some key properties of sin(x) include: it is an odd function, meaning sin(-x) = -sin(x); it has a period of 2π, meaning its values repeat every 2π units; and its graph is a smooth, continuous curve.

5. How is sin(x) used in real-world applications?

Sin(x) is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy to model and predict periodic phenomena such as waves, vibrations, and oscillations. It also has applications in computer graphics and signal processing.