1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Function represented as a power series

1. Aug 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/gamer567/powerseries.png[/url]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/gamer567/cramster.png[/url]

I am getting lost from the transition in the 1/x-2 to 1/(x-2)^2. Could someone explain to me what happened? I think I could finish this problem and several others if I could understand this. Also is there a better approach? In other problems I took the derivative and put into a power series and then took the integral. This doesn't seem to be working on this one(?)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2010 #2
    Apologies I am unable to edit, the equation in the picture needs to be represented as a power series if I didn't make it clear.

4. Aug 3, 2010 #3
    Before differentiating, the right-hand side can be rewritten as

[tex] \frac{-1}{2} \sum \frac{x^n}{2^n} = - \sum \frac{x^n}{2^{n+1}} [/tex]

Thus, we differentiate to get:

[tex] \frac{d}{dx}[\frac{1}{x-2}] = \frac{d}{dx} [ - \sum \frac{x^n}{2^{n+1}}] [/tex]

[tex] \frac{-1}{(x-2)^2} = - \sum \frac{n}{2^{n+1}}x^{n-1} [/tex]

The reason we do this is because now we can multiply both sides by -x to give us:

[tex] \frac{x}{(x-2)^2} = \sum \frac{n}{2^{n+1}}x^{n}. [/tex]

Do you see how this is helpful in trying to get to the power series of f(x)?

5. Aug 3, 2010 #4
    As far as I know, this is the standard and easiest approach. You should learn and understand this method because I wouldn't be surprised if it pops up in some other problems.

6. Aug 3, 2010 #5

Awesome that helps :) Got confused when they rearranged stuff while saying they are taking derivative.

No doubt this would be a nice mean test question :( Shall be redoing this one a couple times.

7. Aug 3, 2010 #6
    cramster2.png

^^ New problem

If you dont mind me asking one more question, I am stuck as to how they got the last line of this solution to another problem.

From what I can tell, they plug in n=0 and got 1/(x^2) and then changed the power series to n=1

1/(x^2)-1/(x^2) cancels out and disappears. The thing I don't understand is how (-1)^n becomes (-1)^(n+1)

What am I missing here? The answer in the back of the book has it as well.

8. Aug 3, 2010 #7
    There's a negative sign in front of [tex] tan^{-1}x. [/tex] They bring it into its power series formula, thus raising the exponent on -1 to n + 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook