Function to model intensity change over rotation

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to model the change in intensity at a point on a plane that is rotating in front of a white light source at infinite distance. The problem is not well-stated, but hints are given such as considering the EM wave approximation and the significance of the variation in intensity. The size of the plane is also brought up, with the suggestion of imagining it as a small square loop. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using a cosine function to model the curve.
Asuralm
Dear all:

If I have a white light source which is at the positive infinite, and there is a plane receiving the light. Assuming that the plane is facing to the light source at the beginning. If I start rotating the plane, and keep recording the intensity of one point of the plane, what function can model the change of the intensity change please?

Assume that:

1. The intensity was 1 initially, and 0 if no light comes to it.
2. Mirror reflection
3. rotate from 0 degree to 180 degree

Intuitively I feel like cosine function can model the curve, is it correct?

Could anyone give me any hint please? It would be grateful if someone direct me to some books or papers please?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This sounds like a homework problem. This problem is not well stated in my opinion, but here are some hints to get you thinking.

Since the light source is at an infinite distance, what approximation can we assume for the EM wave incident on the plane? Also, as the point rotates with the plane (which, in general, causes the point to approach or to recede from the light source), is the variation in intensity significant to consider?

How large is the plane? Is it an infinite plane? In the case that the plane is small compared to the infinite distance, imagine the plane as a square loop. How does the electric flux change as we slowly rotate this plane?

Dear researcher,

Thank you for your question. Your intuition is correct, a cosine function can indeed model the change in intensity over rotation in this scenario. This is because as the plane rotates away from the light source, the amount of light received at a point on the plane decreases, resulting in a decrease in intensity. As the plane rotates back towards the light source, the intensity increases again.

To formally model this change, we can use the mathematical equation for cosine: cos(x), where x represents the angle of rotation. This function will output values between 1 and -1, which can be scaled to represent the change in intensity from 1 (facing the light source) to 0 (no light received) and back to 1 (facing the light source again).

In terms of resources, I recommend looking into books or papers on optics and light intensity measurements. You may also find useful information in physics textbooks or articles on light reflection and refraction. Additionally, there are many online resources and simulations that can help you visualize and understand the relationship between rotation and light intensity change.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

1. What is the purpose of a function to model intensity change over rotation?

The purpose of such a function is to describe how the intensity of a particular phenomenon changes as it undergoes rotation. This can be used to understand and predict the behavior of various systems, such as the intensity of light as it passes through a rotating object.

2. How is a function to model intensity change over rotation typically expressed?

Such a function is typically expressed as a mathematical formula, which may include variables such as rotation angle, time, and intensity. It may also incorporate known physical laws and constants to accurately model the behavior of the phenomenon.

3. What are the key factors that influence intensity change over rotation?

The key factors that influence intensity change over rotation may vary depending on the specific system being modeled. However, some common factors include the speed and direction of rotation, the properties of the rotating object, and the angle of incidence of the phenomenon.

4. How can a function to model intensity change over rotation be validated?

A function to model intensity change over rotation can be validated by comparing its predictions to experimental data. This involves collecting data on the actual intensity change over rotation and comparing it to the values predicted by the function. If there is a close match, the function can be considered valid.

5. Can a function to model intensity change over rotation be used for real-world applications?

Yes, a function to model intensity change over rotation can be used for real-world applications. For example, it can be used to design and optimize systems that involve rotation, such as optical devices or mechanical machinery. It can also be used to predict the behavior of natural phenomena, such as the intensity of sunlight as it filters through a spinning planet's atmosphere.