Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Functional determinant

1. Aug 3, 2007 #1
    I say what is a functional determinant ??

for example [tex] Det( \partial ^{2} + m) [/tex]

is this some kind of Functional determinant?

then i also believe (althouhg it diverges ) that [tex] Det( \partial ^{2} + m)= \lambda_{1}\lambda_{2}\lambda_{3}\lambda_{4}.....[/tex]

(the determinant of a Matrix is the product of its eigenvalues)
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We're talking about an operator with a continuous spectrum, right?
  4. Aug 4, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

My gut reaction is in agreement with Gokul's. Your assumption is risky, but interesting. Can you expand upon it? I disagree with your closing remark, but may have taken in out of context.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  5. Aug 4, 2007 #4
    Wouldn't call it 'risky' is just a direct generalization of what a Determinant should be on oo-dimensional spaces.

In fact an operator (integral or differential) is nothing but a oo-dimensional matrix with Trace and determinant, i believe these 'FUnctional determinants' appear when evaluating Gaussian integrals

[tex] \int \mathcal D[x]e^{ixAx^{T}}=B/ Det(A) [/tex]

if 'A' is an operator Det(A) would be some kind of Functional determinant, which is just the multiplication (after regularization) of its Eigenvalues.
  6. Aug 8, 2008 #5
    I noticed your comment that from the point of view of operator theory, an integral or derivation is nothing by an oo-dimensional matrix. I can intuitively come close to that conclusion, but I would love to see a more rigorous mathematical treatment, can you post one or recommend a good introductory book giving such a treatment?

7. Aug 23, 2008 #6
    Here's the paper I learned something like this from:

On the concept of determinant for the differential operators of Quantum Physics arXiv:hep-th/9906229

It requires using the zeta trace of the function (i.e. [tex]\zeta(s)=\sum_{n}\lambda_{n}^{-s}[/tex]) when you take it's derivative and then set s=0, you get the sum of the logarithms of the eigenvalues of the operator. You exponentiate this, and you get your determinant.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?