1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Functions not differing by a constant whose derivatives do not equal h(x)

1. Apr 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If h(x):=0 for x<0 and h(x):=1 for x≥0. Prove there dne f:ℝ→ℝ such that f'(x) = h(x) for all x in ℝ. Give examples of two functions not differing by a constant whose derivatives equal h(x) for all x ≠ 0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know how to begin. Am I trying to prove that h(x) has no antiderivative. If so...can someone give me a hint as to which theorem I am supposed to use.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you know the theorem that says that, while a derivative is not necessarily continuous, every derivative has the "intermediate value property"? Having said that there does not exist a function whose derivative is equal to h, there certainly cannot exist two, even if you do not specify the value at x= 0 so you will need to find functions that are not differentiable (perhaps not even continuous at x= 0). I would try functions that are constant for x< 0 then some constant plus x for x> 0.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  4. Apr 19, 2012 #3
    Are you referencing Darboux's Theorem? If so, then yes... Should I try to prove this by contradiction then and show that h(x) is a derivative of some other function?

5. Apr 20, 2012 #4
    Yes.

No, you don't show it's the derivative of a different function. You show it's not a derivative at all.

Look, you know that derivatives have the intermediate value property. Does h have the intermediate value property?

6. Apr 20, 2012 #5
    No because there is no intermediate value it is only 0 or 1...

7. Apr 20, 2012 #6
    Exactly. And that proves the theorem. Derivatives have the IVP, h does not, so h is not a derivative. That's all you need to say for that part of the problem.

As for finding two functions whose derivatives match h at every nonzero point, I'd look back to HallsofIvy's suggestion.

8. Apr 20, 2012 #7
    Thank you for everything. So one eq. Was obvious but to make another that isn't only different by a constant does this imply that I need a function that is composition which reduces to 1 as a derivative?

9. Apr 20, 2012 #8
    I'm not sure what you mean. You need a function whose derivative is 0 for x<0 and 1 for x>0 (this function will not be differentiable at zero). Then you need a second function of the same type that differs from the first by something that isn't a constant.

You really have to go with HallsofIvy's suggestion here, as there aren't any other functions with the correct derivative on [itex]\mathbb{R} \setminus \{ 0 \}[/itex]. This means that you need two functions of the form:
    [tex]f(x) = \begin{cases} A & \text{if } x<0 \\ B+x & \text{if } x \geq 0 \end{cases}[/tex]

Note that you may choose the constants A and B independently.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook