Fundamentals of thermodynamics, specific volume stuff

In summary, 1 kg of liquid can be removed from the tank assuming that the temperature stays constant.
eibon
1. ammonia at 20 c with a quality of 50% and a total mass of 2 kg is in a rigid tank with an outlet valve at the bottom. how much liquid mass can be removed through the valve assuming that the temperature stays constant?

and from so table in the text

saturated press.= 857.5kps (@20 c)
saturated specific volume Vf = 0.001638 [m^3/kg]
saturated specific volume Vg = 0.1422 [m^3/kg]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

mass liquid =1 kg
mass gas= 1kg

Vf * 1kg = 0.001638 m^3
Vg* 1kg= 0.1422 m^3

v of tank = 0.150858 m^3

(0.001638 m^3)/(Vg = 0.1422 [m^3/kg])= 0.0109770808kg

1kg (of liquid) -0.0109770808kg ( mass of gas needed to fill the liquids space) = .9890229192 kg of liquid can be removed from the tankcan anyone tell me if that's right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi eibon,
The problem gives you the quality (50%) of the saturated, 2 phase mixture. It also gives you the temperature and total mass. I'm going to assume you've correctly found the values of Vf, Vg and the saturation pressure.

Knowing this information, you can determine the nominal density of the mixture by applying the equation for the definition of quality. I don't see that equation listed in your post so I can't be sure how you arrived at the tank volume, but I don't think your answer is correct (ie: .150858 m^3 doesn't seem right to me).

Once you determine the tank volume, then knowing that temperature doesn't change as you remove liquid from the tank until the pressure hits the saturated gas point, you may assume the remaining ammonia is 100% saturated gas. Since you already have the specific volume for this, you should be able to determine the mass left in the tank. Then it's just a simple calculation to determine how much mass was removed.

I've been working on the same question for an assignment. I think the volume of the tank is correct and I also got the same final answer (0.98902 kg).

1. What is thermodynamics and why is it important?

Thermodynamics is the study of how energy is transferred and transformed from one form to another. It is important because it helps us understand and predict how systems will behave and how energy can be used efficiently.

2. What is specific volume and how is it related to thermodynamics?

Specific volume is the volume of a substance per unit of mass. In thermodynamics, it is used to calculate the density of a substance and to understand the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature in a system.

3. How is specific volume measured?

Specific volume is typically measured in units of cubic meters per kilogram (m³/kg) or in some cases, cubic feet per pound (ft³/lb). It can be measured using specialized equipment such as a volumeter or by calculating it using the mass and volume of a substance.

4. What is the significance of specific volume in thermodynamics?

Specific volume is important in thermodynamics because it is a crucial factor in determining the state of a substance in a system. It is used to calculate the density of a substance, which in turn, helps us understand the behavior of the substance under different conditions and in various processes.

5. How does specific volume affect the efficiency of a system?

Specific volume plays a significant role in determining the efficiency of a system. A higher specific volume means that the substance takes up more space and has a lower density, which can lead to inefficiencies in processes such as heat transfer. Therefore, it is important to consider the specific volume of a substance when designing and optimizing a system.