Fundimental frequency of subatomic particles.

In summary, I think that the electron has some kind of fundamental frequency that helps it maintain its form.
Jdo300
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what the frequency of a proton, neutron, and electron are at their lowest possible energy level? I'm guessing this is a loaded question but any assistance would be appreciated. If a specific material is required to figure this out, I'm wondering what it is for copper?

Thanks,
Jason O

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not a loaded question at all!

[itex]E = h \nu = m\sub_0 c^2[/itex]

Last edited:
Thanks plxmny,

So how do I get the frequency using those equations? (I'm probably missing something obvious here). I see that I can get the energy, velocity or mass so far given what you've shown me.

Thanks,
Jason O

Last edited:
No - [tex]\nu[/tex] is frequency. You said the object was at rest so there is no velocity.

Ohhhh ok. Sorry, got confused by the V.

But are you sure that this is what you are after? Just because there is a mathematical relations between something, doesn't mean that such properties exist simultaneously.

If I take a mass m, and it gets converted directly into EM radiation by some process, then that EM radiation will have a frequency given in that relation. However, to say that this is the "frequency" of that mass is as erroneous as saying that all matter is nothing more than EM radiation (there's at least one very long thread on why this is wrong someone in here). I tend to think that the frequency of something is the rate that that something is oscillating. Yet, this is not what is implied in that equation, but rather the EM energy content after a "conversion".

Zz.

Hi, I'm thinking about the electron as having wavelike properties they are described with wave equations in the quantum world. So I was thinking that if the electron has wavelike properties (it is not a discrete ball of ‘stuff’ in space), that it should have a fundamental frequency, especially since the electron can only take on discrete energy levels which makes me think of harmonics of some fundimental...

I also am reminded that electrons can be created from high frequency radiation which seems to imply to me that they vibrate to maintain their form.

Perhaps I am looking at this from the wrong perspective.

What is the fundamental frequency of subatomic particles?

The fundamental frequency of subatomic particles refers to the lowest energy state or vibration that a particle can have. It is a characteristic property of each type of subatomic particle and determines their behavior and interactions.

How is the fundamental frequency of subatomic particles measured?

The fundamental frequency of subatomic particles is measured using particle accelerators and detectors. By colliding particles at high speeds, scientists can observe the resulting particles and their properties, including their fundamental frequency.

What are the factors that affect the fundamental frequency of subatomic particles?

The fundamental frequency of subatomic particles is affected by factors such as the mass of the particle, its charge, and the environment in which it exists. These factors contribute to the overall energy and behavior of the particle.

Why is the fundamental frequency of subatomic particles important?

The fundamental frequency of subatomic particles is important because it helps us understand the structure of matter and the fundamental forces that govern the universe. It also plays a role in the development of technologies, such as particle accelerators and nuclear reactors.

Can the fundamental frequency of subatomic particles change?

Yes, the fundamental frequency of subatomic particles can change under certain conditions, such as when they interact with other particles or when they are in different energy states. This can lead to the creation of new particles or the transformation of existing ones.