Funny Things Said by Professors

In summary, the conversation was about various stories and experiences with high school and university physics teachers. These teachers were known for their jokes and unique perspectives on physics. One teacher had a controversial answer to a question about E=mc2, while another made a joke about the concept of "nothingness" in cosmology. Another teacher had a surprising view on the accuracy of experimental physics. The conversation also included a personal story about a high school teacher who was open about his sexuality and was respected for it. Finally, a professor's statement about physicists being either mathematicians or locksmiths was shared.
Aufbauwerk 2045
I wonder if anyone has some fun or interesting stories about their high school or university physics teachers. In my case there are several, and some of these teachers had tremendous reputations. These were actual professors of mine, so I know this is not apocryphal. Of course I will never reveal their names.

(1) On a physics test, there was a multiple choice question about the meaning of E = mc2. The correct answer according to the teacher was "energy and matter are the same thing." I questioned this at the time, and recently I heard the audio where Einstein said that it means "mass and energy are both but different manifestations of the same thing", which is not quite the same in my opinion. What do you think? Anyway I answered the question "correctly" while wondering if the teacher was playing some kind of joke by asking it in the first place. Sorry but I don't remember the other answers, just that they were obviously wrong.

(2) A teacher who was an expert in cosmology was asked in class how the universe came into being from nothing as he stated. His reply was "nothingness is unstable." Again, an apparent joke. Or was it? How would you answer this question?

(3) A teacher was asked which was the best choice of a foreign language to study: French, German, or Russian. He said he had studied both French and German because they were required for his PhD, but they were not useful. Also he said "Russian is impossible." It was funny because this guy was at ease with quantum mechanics and wrote a well-known physics textbook, yet he said Russian was impossible. I wonder how many Russian physics teachers would say that about English.

(4) I was talking to a guy who was said to be a very careful experimentalist. We were discussing the solution to some mathematical problems and he said not to worry too much about getting exact solutions because "physics is sloppy." I was surprised by his answer because he seemed so enthusiastic when he said it. At the time he was showing me some very delicate equipment he was assembling.

Here is the Einstein audio. If only we had videos of Einstein's lectures!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
David Reeves said:
(2) A teacher who was an expert in cosmology was asked in class how the universe came into being from nothing as he stated. His reply was "nothingness is unstable." Again, an apparent joke. Or was it? How would you answer this question?
I would ask him for the evidence that leads him to believe there was "nothing" before the BB.

David Reeves said:
(4) I was talking to a guy who was said to be a very careful experimentalist. We were discussing the solution to some mathematical problems and he said not to worry too much about getting exact solutions because "physics is sloppy." I was surprised by his answer because he seemed so enthusiastic when he said it. At the time he was showing me some very delicate equipment he was assembling.
Experimental physics is sloppy. In the sense that you can only get a certain degree of accuracy when testing some property of nature.

Maybe he was born to be a Mathematician. :smile:

This is not a funny story but it's interesting and I think it was something that required a lot of courage.

On the first day of High School, our new class teacher (= responsible for management of a certain class, a "third parent") introduced us to his boyfriend. At the end of the first school day, he took us to cloak room and as we were leaving, there was this man and he told us his name and said he was his partner.
It may seem strange, but I guess he wanted to be open from the first day, to avoid rumours (you could see his orientation immediately, it was evident, so it is sure everyone would know it, anyway). He was a good teacher, taught well and was friendly. He was respected for being open and as far as I know, no one had a problem with this. It was in 2003.

A professor of mine once proclaimed in a small talk: "There are two types of physicists. Mathematicians and locksmiths."
(Unfortunately it has been heard by a physicist who first learned to be a locksmith when he grew up ...)

1. What makes professors say funny things?

Professors are highly intelligent and knowledgeable individuals who often have a unique perspective on the world. This, combined with their passion for teaching and their ability to engage with students, can lead to the creation of humorous and witty remarks.

2. Are professors intentionally trying to be funny?

While some professors may have a natural talent for humor, most do not intentionally set out to be funny. Their main goal is to educate and engage their students, and humor is often just a byproduct of their teaching style.

3. Do professors use humor to make difficult subjects more understandable?

Yes, humor can be a useful tool for professors when it comes to teaching complex or dry subjects. It can help students to relax and feel more at ease, making it easier for them to absorb and understand the material being presented.

4. Do all professors have a good sense of humor?

No, just like any other group of people, professors can have varying levels of humor. Some may be naturally funny, while others may not use humor in their teaching at all. It ultimately depends on the individual professor's personality and teaching style.

5. Is it appropriate for professors to use humor in the classroom?

When used appropriately, humor can be a great tool for professors to engage and connect with their students. However, it's important for professors to be mindful of their audience and to avoid using humor that may be offensive or inappropriate.