G force and rate of deceleration

In summary, an accelerometer's negative output is directly proportional to the rate of deceleration of the motor vehicle.
lawrence fickett
gee i am not worthy of being here with you guys but i must know is an accelerometer's negative output due to the braking of a motor vehicle directly proportional to the the rate of deceleration of the motor vehicle and can this be predicted using a derivative function? And if I were to plot the negative g's how would the deceleration rate plot compare.

Sorry to bother you'se with such a trivial question, but I've been researching this and can't seem to get a definitive answer. I am preparing a patent using the above and don't want to make a claim that can't be proven.

Many Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that you have already converted the accelerometer output signal to engineering units of g's, it should be directly related to the rate of deceleration. 1g = 9.80665 m/s2.

lawrence fickett said:
is an accelerometer's negative output due to the braking of a motor vehicle directly proportional to the the rate of deceleration of the motor vehicle
Not exactly proportional, but the better (and usually more expensive) the accelerometer is, the closer to that ideal it will be. There will be a data sheet or other specification for the particular model that you're working with. It will include the details for that particular model, including (most likely) a plot of the output signal as a function of the actual negative acceleration.

If you haven't already, you might try googling for "accelerometer specifications".

lawrence fickett said:
is an accelerometer's negative output due to the braking of a motor vehicle directly proportional to the the rate of deceleration of the motor vehicle

You would hope so.

As Nugatory said, not all accelerometers are perfect. Not all are designed to measure negative acceleration (eg deceleration) as well as positive. You would hope the designer picked one that was suitable.

I suppose we should also check that the accelerometer is mounted on the car body and not something loose inside the car like a box of tissues or a passenger.

Likewise an accelerometer mounted on the wheels (measuring angular acceleration) could be used to calculate the linear acceleration/deceleration but only if the wheels aren't skidding.

1. What is G force?

G force, also known as gravitational force, is a measurement of the force exerted on an object by gravity. It is typically measured in units of acceleration and is represented by the letter "g". On Earth, the standard gravitational force is 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How is G force related to rate of deceleration?

G force and rate of deceleration are directly related. The higher the G force, the greater the rate of deceleration. For example, if an object experiences a G force of 5g, it will decelerate or slow down at a rate of 5 times the standard gravitational force on Earth.

3. How is G force measured?

G force can be measured using accelerometers, which are devices that measure acceleration. In order to measure G force, the accelerometer must be attached to the object experiencing the force. The reading on the accelerometer will indicate the G force being exerted on the object.

4. What are some examples of G force and rate of deceleration?

G force and rate of deceleration can be experienced in various situations, such as during a car crash, a roller coaster ride, or a fighter jet maneuver. In a car crash, the G force can range from 20-100g, depending on the speed and impact of the crash. On a roller coaster, riders can experience G forces of up to 4g during fast drops and turns. Fighter pilots can experience G forces of up to 9g during high-speed maneuvers.

5. How does G force and rate of deceleration affect the human body?

G force and rate of deceleration can have significant effects on the human body. At high levels, they can cause injuries such as whiplash, concussions, and even loss of consciousness. The human body is able to withstand G forces of up to 9g for short periods of time, but prolonged exposure can be dangerous. Pilots and astronauts undergo special training to help them withstand higher G forces.