1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

G-force of wind on a persons body.

1. Jul 10, 2012 #1
    After doing some work with a painter friend we were coming home and I put my arm outside of the window as we were going 70 miles an hour. Wondering what the g-forces would be on my arms and hand?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2012 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There would be no g-force on your arm...

Presumably your arm didn't dissapear behind that car and you were able to hold it out in a more or less stable position? In that case you will feel a force on it due to drag, but it's a constant force not an acceleration so the "g-force" would be zero.

If the airstream was turbulent and your arm flapped up and down then there would be acceleration. Quite hard to quantify though.

4. Jul 11, 2012 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thinking about it some more I suppose you could say that the force due to drag _feels_ like the force due to gravity. I'd estimate it as equivalent to 3-5g.

5. Jul 11, 2012 #4
    Thank you for your reply and explanation you gave. I was just curious and you satisfied that curious thread. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook