1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

G(x) is the antiderivative of F(x) with G(1) = 1; Find a formula for G(x)

1. Apr 13, 2012 #1
    G(x) is the antiderivative of F(x) with G(1) = 1; Find a formula for G(x)....

Find a formula for G(x) in terms of F(x).

I would have just written [tex]\int_0^x{F(x)dx}[/tex] but I know the value G(1) = 1 has to be included somewhere. Can someone help me figure this one out?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: G(x) is the antiderivative of F(x) with G(1) = 1; Find a formula for G(x)....

How about if you just add a constant?

4. Apr 13, 2012 #3
    Re: G(x) is the antiderivative of F(x) with G(1) = 1; Find a formula for G(x)....

[tex]\int_0^x{F(x)dx} + C[/tex]??

5. Apr 13, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. If that is your G(x) then what value of C will make G(1)=1? Put x=1 and solve for C.

6. Apr 13, 2012 #5

Well, wouldn't I need to know what the value of [tex]\int_0^1{F(x)dx}[/tex] is to determine that?

7. Apr 13, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. You can't compute it. [tex]\int_0^1{F(x)dx}[/tex] should appear as part of your answer.

8. Apr 13, 2012 #7

[tex]G(x) = 1 + \int_1^xF(s)ds[/tex] ?

9. Apr 13, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good job. Why the '?'

10. Apr 13, 2012 #9

I wasn't sure of the limits of integration. They were kind of unjustified.

11. Apr 13, 2012 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you'd followed the line I was suggesting you should have found [tex]C=1-\int_0^1{F(s)ds}[/tex]

Can you justify the bounds using that?

12. Apr 13, 2012 #11

The F(x) was making it confusing.

13. Apr 13, 2012 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe. If one of the limits of integration is x you shouldn't write the integral dx. Since the integration variable is a dummy you should use something besides x, like s. Makes life less confusing.

14. Apr 13, 2012 #13

Can you explain why C would allow you to justify the bounds.

15. Apr 13, 2012 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The integral from 0 to x of F minus the integral from 0 to 1 of F equals the integral from 1 to x of F.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook