1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gain & Transfer Function - Difference?

1. Aug 1, 2012 #1
    I know the transfer function = Laplace{output}/Laplace{input}, while gain = output/input, but why is that matter? The ratio will still be the same (or is it?).

And if there is a distinct different, is the result of the mason's formula using signal-flow graph a gain or a transfer function? Wiki says it is a gain but my teacher did an example on the board and got a transfer function at the end.

Thank you so much!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Gain and tranfer function as you have stated them are the same thing. Except that a transfer function is capable of handling a large number of different inputs besides sine functions. "Gain" usually implies either dc or a sine wave input, but can also refer to a Laplace transfer function. The Laplace transfer function with s replaced by jω gives the sine gain, including phase.

I am not familiar with signal flow diagrams and in fact have studiously avoided them as the source of unnecessary irritation and complication.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook