1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Galvanometer to Voltmeter Question

1. Sep 7, 2006 #1
    A galvanometer of coil resistance 50 ohms deflects full scale for a curent of 3.5 mA. What series resistance should be used with this galvanometer to construct a voltmeter which deflects full scale for 35 Volts?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2006 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to the forums. There are people here who will be elbowing each other out of the way in order to help you with your problems in Physics. But first, you have to follow our guidelines.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379

We will not do your work for you.

4. Sep 7, 2006 #3
    Capacitors in Parallel

A 9.0 microFaraday and 4.0 microFaraday are connected in parallel, and this combination is connected in series with 12.0 microFaraday capacitor.

1. What is the net capacitance?
    2. if 32 V is applied across the whole network, calculate the voltage
    across each capacitor.

5. Sep 7, 2006 #4
    These two questions are the only two in my assignment that I don't know how to approach. I would appreciate some guidance as to how to begin.

6. Sep 7, 2006 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Begin by opening up the textbook and reading the section on ammeters and voltmeters.
    Hint: current of 3.5 mA, voltage 35 V, resistance ?

Then read the section on capacitors in parallel.

7. Sep 7, 2006 #6
    my partial solutions are too long to type out....
    anyways, here is what I have so far... I know its incorrect because it does not differentiate between the Voltage in V=IR and the voltage I need to obtain in the question, the 35.0V....

the text says little to do this problem, it does however mention the maximum voltage the coil can tolerate.. and is also stated in units of Ohms/Volts....which I am not given in the question....

so......this has been my attempt so far....I don't really know how to proceed....

8. Sep 8, 2006 #7

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Answer the question contained in my hint.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?