Gamma Radiation: How Does It Pass Through & Damage the Body?

In summary: Don't believe what you see on TV. It is almost always wrong. The only radiation that would be detectable from inside you would be gamma radiation from inhaled/ingested particles. I think it's just a widespread misunderstanding on how radiation works and a misportrayal on TV because of this.
daisey
Question about Gamma Radiation. I understand that Gamma Radiation, like X-Rays, are just photons (light particles) at different frequencies. I was reading an article about the Nuclear Plant problems in Japan, and the article stated that photons from Gamma Radiation for the most part pass through the body due to their energy, and because at the quantum particle level, human bodies (and most matter) are mostly empty space. Is this true, and if so how does Gamma Radiation then damage the body?

Science news on Phys.org
Most of gamma radiation passes through, but not all.

OK. So the few photons that do not pass through the body strikes (or otherwise modifies) the atoms comprising the cells inside our bodies. How do these photons now make out bodies "radioactive"? What makes the effect an ongoing reaction inside the body?

daisey said:
OK. So the few photons that do not pass through the body strikes (or otherwise modifies) the atoms comprising the cells inside our bodies. How do these photons now make out bodies "radioactive"? What makes the effect an ongoing reaction inside the body?

Being exposed to radiation typically does not make the exposed material radioactive itself. There is typically no ongoing nuclear reaction.

A lot depends on the energy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_radiation#Matter_interaction

Basically once the gamma photon hits something it is this something that becomes the problem, like ejected electron that ionizes molecules on its path. Note that these electrons are produced inside of the body, they are not stopped by the clothing/radiation suits.

Borek said:
Basically once the gamma photon hits something it is this something that becomes the problem, like ejected electron that ionizes molecules on its path. Note that these electrons are produced inside of the body, they are not stopped by the clothing/radiation suits.

But this process of ionization is over with in a matter of microseconds -- if you look at what the OP was asking, he/she was assuming that the person's body would stay radioactive.

bcrowell said:
But this process of ionization is over with in a matter of microseconds -- if you look at what the OP was asking, he/she was assuming that the person's body would stay radioactive.

Right, but the problem with ionization in the body is that free radicals can modify DNA, possibly causing cell mutation to cancer. This is the most dangerous kind of damage that gamma radiation causes to the body.

bcrowell said:

When you see someone take a device (Geiger Counter?) on tv to measure the amount of radiation one has received, if the body is no longer radioactive, what is the device measuring? Or do those devices not work for Gamma radiation?

daisey said:
When you see someone take a device (Geiger Counter?) on tv to measure the amount of radiation one has received, if the body is no longer radioactive, what is the device measuring? Or do those devices not work for Gamma radiation?

It doesn't work that way. You cannot measure the radiation dose a person has received in the past by using a Geiger counter. Typically if you work with radiation, you wear a badge all the time, and it measures your accumulated dose.

fzero said:
Right, but the problem with ionization in the body is that free radicals can modify DNA, possibly causing cell mutation to cancer. This is the most dangerous kind of damage that gamma radiation causes to the body.

This applies to all ionizing radiation, not just gammas.

Actually, at low doses, ionizing radiation is probably good for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_hormesis

bcrowell said:
It doesn't work that way. You cannot measure the radiation dose a person has received in the past by using a Geiger counter. Typically if you work with radiation, you wear a badge all the time, and it measures your accumulated dose.

Well, I remember seeing technicians on TV wearing white masks waving these electronic devices over people, and I thought they were measuring radioactivity. Maybe they were measuring radioactivity from inhaled contaminants, which I understand do radiate for some time.

daisey said:
Well, I remember seeing technicians on TV wearing white masks waving these electronic devices over people, and I thought they were measuring radioactivity. Maybe they were measuring radioactivity from inhaled contaminants, which I understand do radiate for some time.

Don't believe what you see on TV. It is almost always wrong. The only radiation that would be detectable from inside you would be gamma radiation from inhaled/ingested particles. I think it's just a widespread misunderstanding on how radiation works and a misportrayal on TV because of this.

Edit: Although if you are talking about real life stuff, like the Japan disaster, then see jshine's post below.

Last edited:
daisey said:

There are two slightly different hazards in a reactor accident. On the one hand, you could be exposed to to radiation directly (i.e., like an having an X-ray), or you could inhale or become covered in radioactive dust.

In the 1st case, you would not stay radioactive but could still be damaged by the radiation. In the 2nd case, the dust would stick on your skin or inside your body and you could become detectably radioactive. In general this 2nd case is more damaging, since the radioactive materials can become incorporated into your body, and you absorb radiation over a very long period of time.

It's this 2nd case that the technicians were attempting to detect.

jshine said:
In the 1st case, you would not stay radioactive but could still be damaged by the radiation.

The CDC states that someone exposed to about 10 grays (externally, no internal ingestion of dust, etc.), they could expect to die in 2 weeks.

Would the corpse be radioactive?

gabvqz said:
The CDC states that someone exposed to about 10 grays (externally, no internal ingestion of dust, etc.), they could expect to die in 2 weeks.

Only if they were contaminated with radioactive material, or exposed to large amounts of neutron radiation. The latter is extremely rare and would only occur if you were at ground zero of a nuclear bomb, or in close proximity to a nuclear reactor.

gabvqz said:

No. Without ingesting or inhaling any radioactive material, the only way to get harmed by radiation is from Gamma or Neutron radiation. Gamma radiation will NOT cause anything to become radioactive.

Like QP said above me, the only way for someone to be radioactive in this case would be to have EXTREMELY large doses of neutron radiation. You will NOT get this without being very very close to something like a nuclear reactor or a nuke.

1. How does gamma radiation pass through the body?

Gamma radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is able to pass through the body because it has a high energy and short wavelength. This allows it to travel through the spaces between atoms and molecules without being absorbed or scattered.

2. What are the potential sources of gamma radiation?

Gamma radiation can come from both natural and man-made sources. Natural sources include cosmic rays from outer space, radon gas, and radioactive elements in the Earth's crust. Man-made sources include nuclear power plants, nuclear weapons, and medical equipment such as X-ray machines.

3. How does gamma radiation damage the body?

Gamma radiation can damage the body by ionizing atoms and molecules in its path, which can disrupt biological processes and cause damage to cells and DNA. This can lead to various health effects, including radiation sickness, cancer, and genetic mutations.

4. What factors can affect the amount of damage caused by gamma radiation?

The amount of damage caused by gamma radiation depends on several factors, including the type and energy of the radiation, the duration and intensity of exposure, and the type of tissue or organ exposed. Some individuals may also be more susceptible to radiation damage due to factors such as age, health, and genetics.

5. How can exposure to gamma radiation be minimized?

Exposure to gamma radiation can be minimized by following safety precautions and regulations, such as wearing protective equipment and limiting the time spent in radiation areas. It is also important to properly dispose of radioactive materials and to monitor radiation levels in the environment.