1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gap years between BS and MS

1. Oct 3, 2013 #1
    Hey guys, i really need your help on this.

I completed a 3 years BSc in physics in april 2013. However i am not at all satisfied with my preparation (the teachers at my college were hardly interested,yes that's the state of pure physics in my university!). I am planning to take a gap of a couple of years, indulging deeply in the subjects that i have learned so far and those which interest me and then pursue my masters. Is that ok or will that hamper my chances of pursuing grad studies in the future from,say, US. What do you think? I am 22 years old and interested in high energy physics/astrophysics.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Depends on the grad school - seek advise from the schools you plan to apply to.
    Usually a college will have a program for people who are not quite ready after a bachelors so I cannot stress too much the importance of talking to the school.

Generally, taking time off before grad school is unlikely to make much difference to entry. I had 4 years between BSc and the start of MSc ... but I suspect it will make a difference if you want to go from BSc(Hons) to a PhD program (my college did not offer that option). Often a college will offer a postgrad diploma to someone they feel is borderline ... the papers can be transferred to the MSc or PhD program if your initial marks look good.

BTW: it is bad practice to put "please reply to this" in the title - put your question in the title.

4. Oct 4, 2013 #3
    OK, I will certainly put precise words in the title henceforth.
    Do you know about admission process in MSc programs in canada (or any other country for that matter) after a 3 year BSc. Will a good PGRE and TOEFL/IELTS score suffice?

5. Oct 4, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It dies not matter which country you are in, the admission policies will depend on the individual college. You have to ask them. They usually publish their requirements.

6. Oct 4, 2013 #5
    OK, i will look up. Any more advice will be appreciated . Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook