Does Taking a Gap Year Between BSc and MSc Affect Future Study Prospects?

• Thread starter abhishek99087
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gap Years
In summary, after completing a three-year BSc in physics, the author is not satisfied with his preparation and plans to take a gap year before pursuing a masters. Depending on the program, a good PGRE and TOEFL/IELTS score may suffice for admission.
abhishek99087
Hey guys, i really need your help on this.

I completed a 3 years BSc in physics in april 2013. However i am not at all satisfied with my preparation (the teachers at my college were hardly interested,yes that's the state of pure physics in my university!). I am planning to take a gap of a couple of years, indulging deeply in the subjects that i have learned so far and those which interest me and then pursue my masters. Is that ok or will that hamper my chances of pursuing grad studies in the future from,say, US. What do you think? I am 22 years old and interested in high energy physics/astrophysics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the grad school - seek advise from the schools you plan to apply to.
Usually a college will have a program for people who are not quite ready after a bachelors so I cannot stress too much the importance of talking to the school.

Generally, taking time off before grad school is unlikely to make much difference to entry. I had 4 years between BSc and the start of MSc ... but I suspect it will make a difference if you want to go from BSc(Hons) to a PhD program (my college did not offer that option). Often a college will offer a postgrad diploma to someone they feel is borderline ... the papers can be transferred to the MSc or PhD program if your initial marks look good.

BTW: it is bad practice to put "please reply to this" in the title - put your question in the title.

OK, I will certainly put precise words in the title henceforth.
Do you know about admission process in MSc programs in Canada (or any other country for that matter) after a 3 year BSc. Will a good PGRE and TOEFL/IELTS score suffice?

It dies not matter which country you are in, the admission policies will depend on the individual college. You have to ask them. They usually publish their requirements.

OK, i will look up. Any more advice will be appreciated . Thanks a lot!

Related to Does Taking a Gap Year Between BSc and MSc Affect Future Study Prospects?

What is a gap year?

A gap year is a period of time, typically a year, taken between completing a bachelor's degree and starting a master's degree. It is often used for personal and professional development, such as traveling, gaining work experience, or exploring different career paths.

Why do people take gap years?

People take gap years for a variety of reasons. Some may want to take a break from academics and gain life experience, while others may want to explore different career options or travel. It can also be used as a time to save money for graduate school or to gain relevant work experience for their desired field of study.

Will taking a gap year affect my chances of getting into graduate school?

No, taking a gap year will not negatively impact your chances of getting into graduate school. In fact, it can often enhance your application by showing your dedication to personal and professional growth. Be sure to use your gap year wisely and have a plan for how it will benefit your future academic and career goals.

How should I spend my gap year?

There is no one right way to spend a gap year. It is important to consider your personal goals and what you hope to gain from the experience. Some options include traveling, volunteering, interning, or working in a relevant field. It is important to have a plan and use your time wisely to make the most of your gap year.

Can I still apply for graduate school during my gap year?

Yes, you can still apply for graduate school during your gap year. However, keep in mind that some programs may have specific guidelines or deadlines for gap year applicants. It is important to research and plan ahead to ensure you are meeting all requirements and deadlines for your desired programs.