Gardening Help - Reviving a Rose Bush near Philadelphia

• Thread starter Q_Goest
  • Start date
In summary, a miniature rose bush purchased last year died over the winter and all the leaves turned brown. However, over the weekend new green leaves appeared on every branch and it is now pining for the outdoors. The bush should be transplanted to a larger pot with well draining potting soil and given some rose fertilizer.
Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Late last year I bought a miniature rose bush for the wife. Tiny yellow flowers with roots in a pot with dirt. Looked a bit like this one:
http://www.bloomsdirect.com/images/TF132_01_WH.jpg

After a few weeks it seemed to die. All the leaves turned brown and dropped. Being the consummate procrastinator, the dirt filled pot with brown bush was left in the garage all winter to fend for itself.

Over the weekend I noticed something strange. Green leaves had sprung from every branch. Loads of them! This thing wasn’t dead, it was pining for the outdoors. Now I’ve got to transplant it, so I need help!

When and where? We live near Philadelphia, it’s still cold and below freezing at night. Should it go outside now? Keep it in the pot? Transplant when? Where? What kind of light do these things like, direct sun all day or shade? I have pine trees and maples, do you think it prefers one over the other? Anyone out there with a green thumb? Mine’s usually purple if not black and blue…

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maximum light for sure. I f you really want it to live put it in a bigger pot, get it in the sun at day time and back in the garage at night time. Plant it in the sunniest spot (south east) you have available when the night frost danger is gone sometimes in may/june

Thanks Andre.. I'd stuck it outside but will bring it back in for now. We've got lots of sun, so I'm sure the lil' tike should find some bit of ground to its liking.

Glad these things can't feel pain.

A larger pot{only one inch larger} with some well draining potting soil should do the trick. Get some rose fertilizer, cause I bet its hungry after its time in the garage. When you water it, set it in a pan of water, to avoid getting the leafs wet. And let it dry out quite a bit in between waterings. Potted roses really hate when their feet stay wet.

Thanks hypatia, I'll do that. Can this bush get planted outdoors? Will it survive a winter and come back in the spring? Or does it need too stay inside?

It can be planted outdoors, if you give it some insulation help in the winter. Like mounding it with leafs, or a good wrap of burlap.

Thanks hypatia. That surpises me. I'd have thought it could be planted outdoors without any problem. Looks like it'll have to stay in a pot then!

Thanks again.

What are the signs that a rose bush needs reviving?

Some signs that a rose bush may need reviving include drooping or yellowing leaves, lack of new growth, and poor flowering.

What are some common causes of a struggling rose bush?

A struggling rose bush can be caused by factors such as improper watering, nutrient deficiencies, pest infestations, and diseases.

How can I water a rose bush properly?

It is important to water a rose bush deeply and infrequently, allowing the soil to dry out slightly between waterings. Water at the base of the plant, avoiding the foliage. A layer of mulch can also help retain moisture in the soil.

What nutrients are essential for a healthy rose bush?

Rose bushes require nutrients such as nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium for healthy growth and flowering. Fertilizers specifically formulated for roses are recommended.

Are there any natural remedies for reviving a struggling rose bush?

Yes, there are some natural remedies that can help revive a struggling rose bush. These include using compost or organic fertilizers, spraying with a solution of water and neem oil to combat pests, and removing damaged or diseased branches.

Back