Gas Equilibrium: Physical & Chemical Characteristics

• Thread starter djinn_Aria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary: For example, if we wanted to calculate the reactionA -> BthenK_c = \frac {[B]}{[A]} = \frac {[A]^3}{[B]} = 3but if we want to calculate the reactionA -> 2BthenK_c = \frac {[A]^2}{[B]} = \frac {2}{[A]^2} = 1
djinn_Aria
Hey everyone, I'm in a little pickle if I must say.
I've got this question on my assignment asking me to explain what the physical and chemical characteristics of a "gas" equilibrium whilst explaining the forward/reverse reactions and their dynamic nature.

My problem, what is a "gas" equilibrium? Is it the same as a normal equilibrium? I'm also not sure what characteristics are, is it when the forward reaction is equal to the reverse reaction?

Also on another question, it asks to explain how the equilibrium constant is calculated and I'm fine with that, but its sort of bugging me how they came up with the equation. where K=[products]/[reactants]
Can anyone explain it to me in not so difficult terms?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Gas equilibria are treated, Mathematically, the same as aqueous equilibria. The difference is units. The classic example I've seen in textbooks is the Haber Process. My undergrad General Chemistry text started off with equilibria in the gas phase then introduced aqueous equilibria and acid/base Chemistry. You might try looking in yours or finding a decent one in a library.

As for the second part you can think of it as such.

At equilibrium the forward rate of reaction equals the reverse rate of reaction:

A [itex]\rightleftharpoons[/itex] B

Ratefwd=Raterev

kfwd[A] = Krev

kfwd/krev = /[A]

where kfwd/krev = Keq

Then you have keq = /[A]

wow that was explained nicely, thank you very much Yanick :)
But what do you mean by difference is the units?

What are units of Kc and Kp constants for reactions

A(aq) <-> B(aq) + C(aq)

and

A(g) <-> B(g) + C(g) ?

would the units of Kc be in moles/L because it uses the concentrations in calculations?
I'm not sure about the Kp but I'd say in atm or Pa?

You are on the right track.

Note that this is a little bit more complicated, as exact units of the Kwhatever constant depend on the reaction. For a simple reaction like

A -> B

[tex]K_c = \frac {}{[A]}[/tex]

units cancel out, but for reaction like

A -> 2B

[tex]K_c = \frac {[A]^2}{}[/tex]

we are left with mol/L (it works the same way for Kp).

In general it is better to treat K as dimensionless and all expressions present as dimensionless activities of the substances present. Quite often we need a logarithm of K and units become a problem.

Related to Gas Equilibrium: Physical & Chemical Characteristics

1. What is gas equilibrium?

Gas equilibrium is a state in which the physical and chemical characteristics of a gas remain constant over time. This occurs when the rate of movement of gas molecules between different regions is equal, resulting in a balance between the forward and reverse reactions.

2. How is gas equilibrium achieved?

Gas equilibrium can be achieved through a variety of methods, such as changing the temperature, pressure, or concentration of the gas. It can also be achieved by introducing a catalyst or by altering the volume of the container holding the gas.

3. What are the physical characteristics of gas equilibrium?

The physical characteristics of gas equilibrium include constant temperature, pressure, and volume. In addition, the gas molecules have equal rates of movement between different regions, resulting in a uniform distribution throughout the container.

4. What are the chemical characteristics of gas equilibrium?

The chemical characteristics of gas equilibrium include the presence of both forward and reverse reactions occurring at equal rates. This results in a balance between the amounts of reactants and products in the gas phase, and a constant concentration of each species.

5. Why is gas equilibrium important?

Gas equilibrium is important because it allows for the stable coexistence of reactants and products in a chemical system. It also allows for the control and optimization of chemical reactions, as well as the ability to predict and understand the behavior of gases under different conditions.