Gas pressure in internal combustion gasoline engine

In summary, the gas pressure which applies on piston head just after combustion in cylinder is very urgent and necessary for me to know this. However, it is impossible to answer the question in its current form.
lokendra.s
can anyone please tell me what is the gas pressure which applies on piston head just after combustion in cylinder
its very urgent and necessary for me to know this
please help me

Engineering news on Phys.org
see
http://www.qrg.northwestern.edu/thermo/design-library/otto/otto.html

cylinder pressure in a 11 to 1 compression ration mills will give you is 12.5 Mpa. ( 1750 psi ifin i did it right converting it) on cheap pump gasoline is about max for todays cars.
i get about 160 psi per cylinder in the 11:1 comp ration race engine and figure this is without leak down data

Last edited:
OP this is an impossible question to answer in its current form.

It varies for every engine, and even varies between cycles. You can work out the ideal cycle, but this will be nowhere near what you get in a real combustion chamber. (it's likely to be about 15- 30% higher in the ideal cycle)

It depends on a huge amount of vairables. The bare minimum you need is. Compression ratio, inlet temperature and pressure and exhaust temperateur and pressure.

You also need to specify operating conditions, is tis full load, wide open throttle?What do you need it for?

Last edited:
thanks chris
i agree ..every component will impact on total pressure..i.i. rings, piston, combustion chamber, valves, camshaft profile..intake and exhaust manifolds ...pretty impossible..;.
the number i threw out should be a pretty average number since is is middle range of variables..good as any to base line..right?

Yeah I mean, the Op just hasnt given enough information to even make a stab at an answer. He could be talking about a huge marine diesel for all we know.

I think you've given just about the best answer possible(average car engine) with the information the op has given.Asking what's the pressure in an engine? Is like asking how long is a piece of string.

Do a forum search, I posted some typical values for SI and CI engines on different duties at full load some time ago (peak cylinder pressure, that is).

thank you all for replying
i know i haven't given the full discription of problem because i myself don't know the exact things actully i m working on a small project i.e. structural analysis and thermal analysis on slider crank assembly on the engine provided with offset in crank shaft (technology used in kappa engine by hyundai) on 1.2L engine.
once again thanks for replying

1. What is gas pressure in an internal combustion gasoline engine?

Gas pressure is the force exerted by the expanding gas on the walls of the engine's combustion chamber. It is an essential component of the combustion process, as it provides the energy needed to move the engine's pistons.

2. How is gas pressure generated in an internal combustion gasoline engine?

Gas pressure is generated through the combustion process, which involves mixing fuel and air in the engine's combustion chamber and igniting it with a spark. This creates a controlled explosion, which produces a rapid increase in gas pressure.

3. What is the ideal gas pressure for an internal combustion gasoline engine?

The ideal gas pressure for an internal combustion gasoline engine varies depending on factors such as the engine's size, design, and intended use. However, it is typically in the range of 60-100 psi (pounds per square inch).

4. How does gas pressure affect engine performance?

Gas pressure plays a crucial role in engine performance. The higher the gas pressure, the more power and torque an engine can produce. However, if the gas pressure is too high, it can cause engine knocking and damage internal components.

5. What are some ways to measure and control gas pressure in an internal combustion gasoline engine?

Gas pressure can be measured using a pressure gauge attached to the engine's combustion chamber. To control gas pressure, the engine's fuel and air mixture can be adjusted, as well as the timing of the spark ignition. Additionally, engine components such as the pistons and valves can be designed to withstand certain levels of gas pressure.