Gauge pressure and fluids problem

In summary, the gauge pressure in the tire when its temperature rises to 39 degrees C would be 27 lb ft/in2.
kitty9035
1. Homework Statement [/b
An automobile tire having a temperature of .64 degrees C is filled to a gauge pressure of 27 lb ft/in2. What would be the gauge pressure in the tire when its temperature rises to 39 degrees C?

Homework Equations

Assume the volume remains constant, the air doesn't leak out, and the atmospheric pressure remains constant at 14.7 lb ft/in2

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm pretty sure your supposed to use the equation p=pg + po. How do I find the gauge pressure with a temperature increase??

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right that you have to use that equation, and there is one other, too. What equation do you know that relates the pressure and temperature of a gas?

would it be PV=nRT? I didn't learn about this yet. I just looked it up. What does the n and R stand for?

That's what I had in mind. If you haven't learned that, maybe you have learned some form of it for the particular case where the volume and amount of gas are constant? Does this look familiar?:
[tex]\frac{P_1}{T_1}=\frac{P_2}{T_2}[/tex]
In this equation P and T are the absolute temperature and pressure, and 1 and 2 refer to different times.

By the way, in the ideal gas law "n" is the number of moles of gas and "R" is the universal gas constant, which is just a constant value.

Thank you! I got the answer:rofl:

LeonhardEuler said:
That's what I had in mind. If you haven't learned that, maybe you have learned some form of it for the particular case where the volume and amount of gas are constant? Does this look familiar?:
[tex]\frac{P_1}{T_1}=\frac{P_2}{T_2}[/tex]
In this equation P and T are the absolute temperature and pressure, and 1 and 2 refer to different times.

By the way, in the ideal gas law "n" is the number of moles of gas and "R" is the universal gas constant, which is just a constant value.
Proportions are always more precise because they are independent of sig figs

1. What is gauge pressure?

Gauge pressure is the pressure measured relative to atmospheric pressure. It is the difference between the total pressure and the atmospheric pressure at a given location.

2. How is gauge pressure different from absolute pressure?

Gauge pressure is measured relative to atmospheric pressure, while absolute pressure is measured relative to a perfect vacuum. This means that the gauge pressure at sea level is 0, while the absolute pressure is around 14.7 pounds per square inch (psi).

3. How is gauge pressure calculated?

Gauge pressure can be calculated by subtracting the atmospheric pressure from the total pressure. The formula for calculating gauge pressure is P gauge = P total - P atmospheric.

4. What is the significance of gauge pressure in fluid mechanics?

Gauge pressure is important in fluid mechanics because it helps us understand the behavior of fluids under different pressures. It also allows us to measure the pressure difference in a system, which is crucial in determining the flow of fluids.

5. How does gauge pressure affect the flow of fluids?

Gauge pressure affects the flow of fluids by creating a pressure difference that causes the fluid to move from a region of high pressure to a region of low pressure. This pressure difference, also known as the pressure gradient, is essential in maintaining the flow of fluids in pipes and channels.