Gauss Jordan Elemination Method (Stucked)

In summary, the steps provided to solve the given system of linear equations by calculating the inverse of the augmented matrix are incorrect. The correct approach is to perform row operations directly on the augmented matrix to reduce it to reduced row echelon form and then read off the values of x1, x2, and x3. Using the provided steps will not result in the desired solution.
farmd684
Gauss Jordan Elemination Method (Stucked)!

Homework Statement

5x1+3x2+2x3=4
3x1+3x2+2x3=2
+x2+x3 =5
I have to solve this problem by calcutaing the inverse if this equation's augmented matrix

Homework Equations

I used this method to find its inverse
5 3 2 1 0 0
3 3 2 0 1 0
0 1 1 0 0 1

My goal is to make first matrix to Identity matrix like the second one

The Attempt at a Solution

So far here is my workings

1ST STEP: R1/5 R2/3
2ND STEP: R3*(3/5)
3RD STEP: R2=R1-R2
4TH STEP: R1=R1-R3 R3=R3-R1
5TH STEP: R2*(-5/2)
6TH STEP: R3*(1/5)
7TH STEP: R1=(1/5)R3+R1 AND R2=R2+(-2/3)R3
Then the first one becomes Identity matrix but the result is not right :(
Pls check the steps if i have done anything wrong or suggest me any techniques so that i can solve these type of problems with no confusions.I m having many problems with these maths.Pls help

Physics news on Phys.org

There isn't any need to find the inverse of the matrix. This approach works only if the system has exactly one solution only, which in this case it has, but not always so in general. Furthermore, it's time consuming since after finding the inverse you have to verify your calculations and THEN multiply the RHS with the inverse matrix.

You have expressed the system of linear equations in terms of an augmented matrix, so why not just performed row operations on the augmented matrix directly to reduce it to reduced row echelon form and from there simply read off the values of x1,x2,x3?

Defennder said:
There isn't any need to find the inverse of the matrix. This approach works only if the system has exactly one solution only, which in this case it has, but not always so in general. Furthermore, it's time consuming since after finding the inverse you have to verify your calculations and THEN multiply the RHS with the inverse matrix.

You have expressed the system of linear equations in terms of an augmented matrix, so why not just performed row operations on the augmented matrix directly to reduce it to reduced row echelon form and from there simply read off the values of x1,x2,x3?

Yeah i know that & i also know it would save my time.But i m particulary asked to solve this problem by finding the inverse of augmented matrix.I have also mentioned my workings sir.Have u cheked it?
I have tried many times but each time i failed.Let me know how could i get the inverse of such matrices as i have many problems to do.

farmd684 said:
Yeah i know that & i also know it would save my time.But i m particulary asked to solve this problem by finding the inverse of augmented matrix.I have also mentioned my workings sir.Have u cheked it?
Well I missed that part of the question.

1ST STEP: R1/5 R2/3
2ND STEP: R3*(3/5)
3RD STEP: R2=R1-R2
4TH STEP: R1=R1-R3 R3=R3-R1
5TH STEP: R2*(-5/2)
6TH STEP: R3*(1/5)
7TH STEP: R1=(1/5)R3+R1 AND R2=R2+(-2/3)R3
How exactly did you do these steps? And why? The matrix just before step 4 is:

[tex]\left ( \begin{array}{cccccc}1&\frac{3}{5}&\frac{2}{5}&\frac{1}{5}&0&-\frac{3}{5}\\0&\frac{2}{5}&\frac{4}{15}&-\frac{1}{5}&\frac{1}{3}&0\\0&\frac{3}{5}&\frac{3}{5}&0&0&\frac{3}{5} \end{array} \right )[/tex].

Doing R1=-R3+R1 will change the top row to:
1 0 -1/5 1/5 0 0

and it can be seen that the subsequent R3=R3-R1 will hence be unable to reduce the top row's 2nd entry from the left to 0. This may be your mistake. Row-operations cannot be performed "simulataneously". So you can't use the old R1 after it has been reduced itself to row reduce another row. I followed your steps right till the end and did not get the identity matrix on the left. So I'm assuming this is your mistake.

1. What is the Gauss Jordan Elimination Method?

The Gauss Jordan Elimination Method is a mathematical technique used to solve systems of linear equations. It involves transforming a matrix into reduced row echelon form through a series of elementary row operations, such as multiplying a row by a non-zero constant or adding a multiple of one row to another.

2. How is the Gauss Jordan Elimination Method different from other methods of solving linear equations?

The Gauss Jordan Elimination Method differs from other methods, such as Gaussian Elimination, because it eliminates the need for back substitution. By transforming the matrix into reduced row echelon form, the solution to the system of equations can be easily read off without the need for additional steps.

3. What are some common challenges or difficulties when using the Gauss Jordan Elimination Method?

One common challenge when using the Gauss Jordan Elimination Method is the possibility of encountering a "stuck" or "singular" matrix, meaning that the algorithm cannot be completed due to a row of zeros in the matrix. Another difficulty can arise when working with large matrices, as the calculations can become time-consuming and prone to errors.

4. Can the Gauss Jordan Elimination Method be used for any system of linear equations?

Yes, the Gauss Jordan Elimination Method can be used to solve any system of linear equations. However, it is most useful for systems with a large number of variables and equations, as it can be more efficient than other methods.

5. How can the Gauss Jordan Elimination Method be applied in real-world situations?

The Gauss Jordan Elimination Method has many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to solve systems of equations representing physical systems, such as electrical circuits, or to analyze economic systems with multiple variables and constraints.