Gauss's Law and a long thin wire

In summary, the conversation involved estimating the magnitude and direction of the electric field at specific points from a long thin wire with a uniform charge distribution. The equations for electric flux and charge enclosed were discussed, and the use of Gauss's law to determine the electric field was mentioned. The answer to part a was given as -2.6 X 10^4 N/C, but the individual was unsure of how it was obtained. Further discussion was had about the equation for the E-field around a very long wire.
yang09

Homework Statement

A long thin wire, hundreds of meters long, carries a uniformly distributed charge of -7.2 microCoulombs per meter of length. Estimate the magnitude and direction of the electric field at points (a) 5.0 m and (b) 1.5m perpendicular from the center of the wire.

Homework Equations

Electric flux = Integral(E*dA)
Electric flux = Charge enclosed(Q) divided by Eo
Therefore, equating the two equations, you get:
Q/Eo = Integral(E*dA)

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer to part a(5.0m) is -2.6 X 10^4 N/C, but I do not know how they got that answer. I equated the two equations and solved for E, but I got 2.6 X 10^7 as an answer, which is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
yang09 said:

Homework Statement

A long thin wire, hundreds of meters long, carries a uniformly distributed charge of -7.2 microCoulombs per meter of length. Estimate the magnitude and direction of the electric field at points (a) 5.0 m and (b) 1.5m perpendicular from the center of the wire.

Homework Equations

Electric flux = Integral(E*dA)
Electric flux = Charge enclosed(Q) divided by Eo
Therefore, equating the two equations, you get:
Q/Eo = Integral(E*dA)

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer to part a(5.0m) is -2.6 X 10^4 N/C, but I do not know how they got that answer. I equated the two equations and solved for E, but I got 2.6 X 10^7 as an answer, which is wrong.

So using Gauss what equation did you come up with that describes the E-field around a very long thin wire?

E = ? For example we know the e-field around a point charge is E = KQ/r^2 and of course the equation is using K instead of 1/4pi(espilon o). So E = what around a very long wire? You have the linear charge density and you can make a gaussian surface that will allow you to describe the e field.

Last edited:

1. What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface.

2. How does Gauss's Law apply to a long thin wire?

Gauss's Law can be used to calculate the electric field around a long thin wire by drawing a cylindrical Gaussian surface around the wire and using the formula E = λ / (2πε_0 r), where λ is the linear charge density, ε_0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the wire.

3. What is the significance of a long thin wire in Gauss's Law?

A long thin wire is often used as a simplified model for calculating electric fields using Gauss's Law because the electric field lines are parallel and the magnitude of the electric field is constant at any point along the wire.

4. Can Gauss's Law be used to calculate the electric field inside a long thin wire?

No, Gauss's Law cannot be used to calculate the electric field inside a long thin wire because the charge enclosed by the Gaussian surface is zero. This means that the electric flux through the surface is also zero, and according to Gauss's Law, the electric field must also be zero inside the wire.

5. How does the electric field around a long thin wire vary with distance?

The electric field around a long thin wire decreases as the distance from the wire increases. This relationship follows the inverse square law, meaning that the electric field decreases proportionally to the square of the distance from the wire.