1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss's Law and a long thin wire

1. Jul 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A long thin wire, hundreds of meters long, carries a uniformly distributed charge of -7.2 microCoulombs per meter of length. Estimate the magnitude and direction of the electric field at points (a) 5.0 m and (b) 1.5m perpendicular from the center of the wire.

2. Relevant equations

Electric flux = Integral(E*dA)
    Electric flux = Charge enclosed(Q) divided by Eo
    Therefore, equating the two equations, you get:
    Q/Eo = Integral(E*dA)

3. The attempt at a solution

The answer to part a(5.0m) is -2.6 X 10^4 N/C, but I do not know how they got that answer. I equated the two equations and solved for E, but I got 2.6 X 10^7 as an answer, which is wrong.

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2010 #2
    So using Gauss what equation did you come up with that describes the E-field around a very long thin wire?

E = ? For example we know the e-field around a point charge is E = KQ/r^2 and of course the equation is using K instead of 1/4pi(espilon o). So E = what around a very long wire? You have the linear charge density and you can make a gaussian surface that will allow you to describe the e field.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook