Gauss's Law and Coaxial Cables

In summary, the conversation discusses a diagram showing a cross-section view of a long metal cylinder with a positive charge per unit length on the inner conductor and a negative charge per unit length on the outer conductor. The field lines point radially from the inner to the outer conductor, and there are no other nearby objects. The conversation then raises questions about the field within each metal cylinder during electrostatic equilibrium, the symmetry and strength of the electric field outside of the outer conductor, and using Gauss's law to derive an expression for the electric field magnitude in regions B and D in terms of the linear charge density, relevant radii, and electrostatic constant. The conversation also mentions the challenge of including linear charge density in this derivation and determining the surface area
tZimm
capture-20130828-204953.png

The diagram I've attached shows a cross-section view of a very long straight metal cylinder of radius r1 within a coaxial hollow metal cylinder of inner radius r2 and outer radius r3. The inner cylinder has
a positive charge per unit length λ, whereas the outer cylinder has negative charge per unit length
-2λ. There are no other objects nearby.

So I know the field lines point radially outwards from the inner conductor to the outer conductor. But the following is what I am not sure with:
1. Why the field within each metal cylinder is zero during electrostatic equilibrium?
2. Why the electric field in the region outside of the outer conductor (region D) must be radially symmetrical and is this field equal in strength as the field in region B?
3. Using Gauss’s law to derive an expression for the electric field magnitude in regions B and D as a
function of the distance r from the center. The answer should be in terms of the linear charge
density, the relevant radii and the electrostatic constant. I have no no idea how to include linear charge density in this derivation.

Thanks in advance to whoever answers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework question?
on 3. How would I find charge in terms [itex] \lambda [/itex] and an arbitrary length of the cylinder.
We need to draw a cylinder in region B, how much charge is enclosed in my surface. What is the surface area in terms of the radius from the center and an arbitrary length of the cylinder.

What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that relates the electric field at a point to the amount of electric charge enclosed by a surface surrounding that point. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is proportional to the enclosed charge.

How is Gauss's Law applied to coaxial cables?

Gauss's Law can be applied to coaxial cables to calculate the electric field and charge distribution between the inner and outer conductors. The law is used to determine the electric field at a point on the surface of the inner conductor, which is then used to calculate the voltage and current in the cable.

What is a coaxial cable?

A coaxial cable is a type of electrical cable with two concentric conductors, typically a central wire surrounded by a cylindrical metal shield. It is commonly used for transmitting high-frequency signals such as television, internet, and telephone signals.

What are the advantages of using coaxial cables?

Coaxial cables have several advantages, including low signal loss, high bandwidth capabilities, and immunity to interference from external electrical sources. They are also relatively inexpensive and easy to install.

How are coaxial cables different from other types of cables?

Coaxial cables differ from other types of cables in that they have a central conductor surrounded by a metallic shield, which provides protection from external interference. They also have a characteristic impedance that allows for efficient transmission of high-frequency signals.