1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss's Law and Electric Field Question.

1. Feb 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    figure shows, in cross section, a plastic, spherical shell
    with uniform charge q=16e and radius R. A particle
    with charge Q = 5e is at the center.What is the electric field
    (magnitude and direction) at (a) point P1 at radial distance a from Q

My question is at the point P1 is the electric field that the book found using gauss's law the total electric field or just the electric field due to Q (the point charge only).

This is worked out example 23.03 in the book "fundementals of physics 10e" by halliday and resnick.
    Thanks.

2. Relevant equations
    Q/ε = ∫Eda

3. The attempt at a solution
    ^44F87ABF77C8BC6F500E350D1912E26B50B78DA1BD1F5FA5EF^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.png

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2016 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does Gauss' Law state?

4. Feb 21, 2016 #3
    I believe it states that the total electric flux out of / into a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed divided by the permittivity. it pretty much relates the electric field at points on a closed surface to the
    net charge enclosed by that surface.

5. Feb 21, 2016 #4
    Sorry, Let me rephrase my question because there may be some misinterpretation. is the electric field that the book found using gauss's law the total electric field or just the electric field due to Q (the point charge only).

6. Feb 21, 2016 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you familiar with the shell theorem?

7. Feb 21, 2016 #6
    No, not really. :\

8. Feb 21, 2016 #7
    wait, is the electric field inside of a shell zero due to symmetry if the charge is uniformly distributed on the spherical shell?

9. Feb 21, 2016 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

E is the electric field at the points of the Gaussian surface (the red sphere in your figure).
    What charge is enclosed by your red Gaussian sphere that goes through P1? Is q inside it?

10. Feb 21, 2016 #9
    Well it only encloses the charge Q not q. So is the electric field calculated at P1 only due to Q? and the electric field due to q is zero at point P1 because of gauss's law?

is this correct?
    thanks.

11. Feb 21, 2016 #10

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right.

12. Feb 21, 2016 #11
    Thanks guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted