Gauss's law for a charged ring

In summary, Gauss's law applies to the surface integral of E, not E at every point. It can only give E at each point if there is enough symmetry to say that E is constant on the surface. Although E is not zero within your sphere, its integral over the surface of the sphere is zero. Or more visually, if you can imagine what the field lines look like for this situation: over some parts of your Gaussian sphere, the field lines enter the sphere, but over other parts, they leave the sphere. Field lines cannot simply "disappear into thin air", and there is no charge inside the sphere, so any field line that enters the sphere must leave the sphere somewhere else.
CuicCuic
Hello physics world,

I am having a hard time understanding a rather simple thing. Let's consider the electric field produced by a uniformly charged ring of radius R, at a position $z$ along the ring's axis. From Coulomb's law in every textbook, we know that E_z∝Qz/(R^2+z^2). That is, there is a net field produced by the ring along its axis.

Now, if we consider the same problem with Gauss's law, I run into a conceptual problem. Let's say we take a Gaussian sphere with radius r, smaller than R, whose center is placed at the center of the ring. In that case, there is no charge enclosed within the Gaussian surface. So Gauss's law should say that the electric field must be zero. But we know that the electric field is finite along $z$ and does not cancel out from $z$ and $-z$. Instead it seems to me that the flux would be 2E_z.

There must be something wrong with my understanding of Gauss's Law, because as I understand it, if there is not charge inside the Gaussian sphere, the electric field flux through that sphere is 0. Any help clarifying this would be sincerely appreciated.

(I know that using Gauss's law for this problem is not a good idea because the field will not be constant in the surface integral. My question is thus rather conceptual.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Gauss's law applies to the surface integral of E, not E at every point.
It can only give E at each point if there is enough symmetry to say that E is constant on the surface.
Although E is not zero within your sphere, its integral over the surface of the sphere is zero.

Likes CuicCuic
Or more visually, if you can imagine what the field lines look like for this situation: over some parts of your Gaussian sphere, the field lines enter the sphere, but over other parts, they leave the sphere. Field lines cannot simply "disappear into thin air", and there is no charge inside the sphere, so any field line that enters the sphere must leave the sphere somewhere else.

Likes CuicCuic
Excellent responses! Thank you very much for clarifying the situation.

CuicCuic said:
Hello physics world,

I am having a hard time understanding a rather simple thing. Let's consider the electric field produced by a uniformly charged ring of radius R, at a position $z$ along the ring's axis. From Coulomb's law in every textbook, we know that E_z∝Qz/(R^2+z^2). That is, there is a net field produced by the ring along its axis.

Now, if we consider the same problem with Gauss's law, I run into a conceptual problem. Let's say we take a Gaussian sphere with radius r, smaller than R, whose center is placed at the center of the ring. In that case, there is no charge enclosed within the Gaussian surface. So Gauss's law should say that the electric field must be zero. But we know that the electric field is finite along $z$ and does not cancel out from $z$ and $-z$. Instead it seems to me that the flux would be 2E_z.

There must be something wrong with my understanding of Gauss's Law, because as I understand it, if there is not charge inside the Gaussian sphere, the electric field flux through that sphere is 0. Any help clarifying this would be sincerely appreciated.

(I know that using Gauss's law for this problem is not a good idea because the field will not be constant in the surface integral. My question is thus rather conceptual.)
Conceptually or otherwise, the point is that: Gauss'slaw says that if the net charge is zero inside a Gaussian surface, the total flux over the surface is zero. It does not say that the electric field is zero. Generally, Gauss's law is always true, but as a calculational tool, it has limited usefulness. You must match the symmetry of the field, with the symmetry of the Gaussian surface, if you need to calculate the field. In your case, the field of the ring has a very different symmetry compared to the symmetry of the spherical Gaussian surface you chose.

What is Gauss's law for a charged ring?

Gauss's law for a charged ring states that the electric flux through a closed surface surrounding a charged ring is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

How is Gauss's law for a charged ring derived?

Gauss's law for a charged ring can be derived using the same principles as Gauss's law for a point charge. It involves choosing a Gaussian surface that encloses the charged ring and using the electric field equation for a point charge to integrate over the surface.

What is the significance of Gauss's law for a charged ring?

Gauss's law for a charged ring is significant because it allows us to easily calculate the electric field at any point around a charged ring by simply knowing the charge and radius of the ring. It also demonstrates the relationship between electric flux and charge.

Can Gauss's law for a charged ring be applied to other shapes?

Yes, Gauss's law for a charged ring can be applied to other symmetric shapes, such as a charged disk or a charged sphere. It can also be extended to more complex shapes by using superposition and dividing the surface into smaller, simpler surfaces.

How does Gauss's law for a charged ring relate to Coulomb's law?

Gauss's law for a charged ring is a more general form of Coulomb's law, which applies to point charges. It takes into account the distribution of charge around a ring and allows for the calculation of the electric field at any point around the ring, not just at a specific distance. Coulomb's law can be derived from Gauss's law for a charged ring by considering a point charge as a ring with a very small radius.