1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss's Law Problem: long, cylindrical charge distribution

1. Apr 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a long, cylindrical charge distribution of radius R with uniform charge density ρ.

a) Using Gauss’s law, find the electric field at distance r from the axis, where r < R

b) Using Gauss’s law, find the electric field at distance r from the axis, where r > R

2. Relevant equations
    ∫EdA = Qinside/ε0
    q = ρV
    V = πr2L
    A = 2πrL
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I've successfully solved the first part which is E = ρr/2ε0.

However for the second part I am confused as to whether or not I would need to use big R for the area, because we are now going at a distance out of the surface or to use little r.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2016 #2
    i think you are going out to a point r where r >R ,
    so your Gaussian surface will be a cylinder of radius r (r>R) enveloping the charged cylinder and you have to calculate the total normal outward flux through this imaginary /constructed Gaussian surface-

4. Apr 30, 2016 #3
    What I got from this method so far is ρr2/2Rε0

5. Apr 30, 2016 #4
    R is the radius of your cylindrical charge distribtion of volume charge density rho-
    so in the gaussian surface you have charges inside which will be = rho x volume of the charged cylinder ;
    the flux will be passing through cylindrical surface constructed of radius r
    so there will be correction in your result

6. Apr 30, 2016 #5
    I see exactly what you mean now, thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted