Generac PWRcell energy storage system

In summary, the Energy Storage Systems ads that I've been seeing on TV are comparing them to the Tesla Powerwall. They seem to have similar specs, but the Powerwall is newer. If you're looking for consumer reviews, search for the Powerwall first. If you want technical specifications, look at the Generac web site.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Do these things work?
I'm curious about the ads I've been seeing on TV about these Energy Storage Systems. Anyone have any knowledge about them?
generac-pwrcell-inverter-battery-enclosure__22755.1603040229.jpg

image from https://sunwatts.com/20-2-kwh-generac-pwrcell-energy-storage-system/
Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Compare them with the tesla power wall.

If you're looking for consumer reviews, search for the power wall first because it has been on the market longer.

If you want technical specifications, look at the Generac web site.

• Informative
Likes dlgoff
anorlunda said:
power wall
I see nothing useful there.

anorlunda said:
Compare them with the tesla power wall.
https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

It looks like the smallest model is comparable to the Tesla Powerwall (13.5kWh). Both have 10 year warranties, and the specs look pretty comparable. The SunWatts page has a link for customer reviews, but I didn't see any reviews in my checking (I could have missed them).

Don -- do you have a PV system that you want to use with this battery system? Or will you just be storing energy from the grid for use when power is out? I know some folks here in Silicon Valley up in the foothills near me that use the Tesla Powerwalls to back up their home for the PG&E "Public Safety Power Shutoff" events that happen during peak fire danger periods. They seem satisfied with them so far. I don't know anybody personally who is using them with their PV system.

Last edited:
berkeman said:
do you have a PV system that you want to use with this battery system? Or will you just be storing energy from the grid for use when power
I was just curious about them. I have no system.

I only skimmed the specs, but it looks like the Powerwall can take DC input directly (like from a PV array) and deal with the DC-DC conversion to store the energy in the batteries. Seems like a pretty flexible system. Kind of pricey for just energy storage for PG&E PSPS events, but might make sense for homes with a PV array.

Likes dlgoff

1. What is the Generac PWRcell energy storage system?

The Generac PWRcell energy storage system is a battery storage solution that allows homeowners to store excess energy from their solar panels or the grid for later use. It is designed to provide backup power during power outages and reduce energy costs by optimizing energy usage.

2. How does the Generac PWRcell energy storage system work?

The system works by storing excess energy generated by solar panels or pulled from the grid in its battery. This energy can then be used during peak demand times or in the event of a power outage. The system also includes smart energy management technology to optimize energy usage and reduce utility costs.

3. What are the benefits of using the Generac PWRcell energy storage system?

The benefits of using the Generac PWRcell energy storage system include: reducing energy costs, providing backup power during outages, reducing reliance on the grid, and reducing carbon footprint. It also allows for more efficient use of renewable energy and can potentially increase the value of a home.

4. How long does the Generac PWRcell energy storage system last?

The system is designed to last for 10-15 years, depending on usage and maintenance. The batteries have a 10-year warranty, and the inverter has a 5-year warranty.

5. Is the Generac PWRcell energy storage system compatible with all solar panels?

Yes, the system is compatible with most solar panel systems. However, it is recommended to consult with a professional to ensure compatibility and proper installation.