Calculation of energy storage system for PEV

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of designing an efficient energy storage system for a plug-in electric vehicle. The requirements include a 140 mile test cycle range, 260Wh/mile test cycle energy, 500-600VDC traction inverter(s) supply, 60kW continuous power, 400kW 10 second power, 150kW 30 second power, and a minimum design life of 10 years. The individual is unsure of how to use equations for this type of car and is seeking help. The suggested steps include determining the energy storage and power delivery requirements, researching different types of batteries, and considering the size and weight of the batteries. It is noted that designing an efficient system is a complex
Zeynep Karaalioglu
Hi,

My teacher asked that i should design a efficient energy storage system for a plug-in electric vehicle. I have no idea how i can use some equations for designing this type of car.
The requirements are in below;

Test cycle range: 140 miles
Test cycle energy: 260Wh/mile at the output of the energy storage system
Traction inverter(s) supply: 500-600VDC
Continuous power: 60kW
10 second power: 400kW
30 second power: 150kW
Design life: 10 years minimum

I know that P=I.V but i do not know how i should continue for designing a efficient energy storage system.
If anyone helps me, i will feel proud.

Thanks;
Zeynep Karaalioglu

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can determine the energy storage and the power delivery requirements of the system from the data in your post. If you can't do that, you need more basic education before you start.

Then use Wikipedia to look up the characteristics of several kinds of batteries and compete them with your requirements. How big will the batteries be? How much will they weigh?

Those are the first steps. efficiency comes later.

Designing an efficient system is a job for a big team of engineers. It sounds to big to be a student project. Perhaps that is what the professor expects you to discover.

1. What is a PEV?

A PEV, or plug-in electric vehicle, is a type of vehicle that runs on electricity from an external source, such as a charging station, instead of relying solely on gasoline or diesel fuel.

2. Why is energy storage important for PEVs?

Energy storage is crucial for PEVs because it allows them to store and use electricity to power their engines, making them more environmentally friendly and reducing their dependence on fossil fuels.

3. How is the energy storage capacity of a PEV calculated?

The energy storage capacity of a PEV is typically calculated by multiplying the battery's voltage by its amp-hour (Ah) rating. For example, a 300-volt battery with a 100 Ah rating would have an energy storage capacity of 30 kilowatt-hours (kWh).

4. What factors affect the energy storage capacity of a PEV?

The energy storage capacity of a PEV can be affected by factors such as the type and size of the battery, the vehicle's weight, and the driving conditions (e.g. terrain, weather, speed). Additionally, the age and condition of the battery can also impact its energy storage capacity.

5. How can the energy storage system for PEVs be optimized?

The energy storage system for PEVs can be optimized by using advanced battery technologies, improving the efficiency of the vehicle's components, and implementing smart charging strategies. It is also important to consider the overall design and balance of the vehicle to ensure maximum energy efficiency.