General Chemistry 2 for physics major?

• Programs
  • Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
Did any of you take General Chemistry 2 as part of a physics degree? Most of my fellow students are engineers and they are only required to take Chem 1, but the physics degree lists Chem 2 as a recommended course. Either way, is this something that would prevent me from taking any third year courses that have it as a pre-req?

I am debating on dropping that class for the fall semester to pick up an intro to proof based mathematics course. (Though, I will take it later if I must).

Thanks

Answers and Replies

I'm majoring in physics and chem I and II are required.

At my uni all physics majors had to take a year-long general chem course, the 2nd semester was mostly equilibrium/thermochemistry, and in all honestly I felt like learned more (conceptual) thermodynamics there than I did in the designated 2nd year course on the subject.

What is the course content like? Do you see yourself making better use out of a math course?

Well, it's required for the degree, so I will take Chem II, (which yes, is thermochem et al). I am just not sure if not having it now, will prevent me from taking any courses. I didn't see anywhere that Chem II was a pre-req for anything, but I could have missed something. I can do Chem II whenever, but I was thinking that replacing it next semester with a proof based course would help me out in the long run.

Yea physics majors are required to take Chem 2, while us engineers only need chem 1. Which is a major thank god, because chem 2 for us is a major weed out for pre-meds. The professor who teaches it gives a million assignments and teaches very little, simmilar to my physics I prof.

I feel sorry for chem majors who need chem 2 and physics 1 lol.

Why do so many physics and engineering majors like it when the pre-meds are weeded out? :tongue2: I wonder if engineering majors like it when the physics and math majors are weeded out :biggrin:

Why do so many physics and engineering majors like it when the pre-meds are weeded out? :tongue2:
Because it's always about us vs. them.

cjl
Science Advisor
I wonder if engineering majors like it when the physics and math majors are weeded out :biggrin:
I honestly never cared very much.

Theres a **** ton of pre-meds. They need to be weeded out through like a 5 layer filtration system.

I think at my school you can take all the math, physics, and all three engineering disciplines and you'd get less people then those in pre-med. Even two of my best friends are premeds and such I know alot of them by association.

Alot of them are exactly the brightest in the bunch either, but I guess that happens when you have so many people.

Because it's always about us vs. them.
lol
I honestly never cared very much.
Yeah after I posted this I was thinking there probably aren't enough physics and math majors to make a noticeable difference.
Theres a **** ton of pre-meds. They need to be weeded out through like a 5 layer filtration system.
:rofl:

Alot of them are exactly the brightest in the bunch either, but I guess that happens when you have so many people.
Yeah I am cool with three pre-med students.. all guys, but there is this girl that hangs out with them and she annoys me to no end with her nonsense -_- They always want to sit by me at lunch and she ALWAYS sits right beside me LOL talking a slew of nonsense. Coincidentally they are all in my chem I class

Of the 2 schools near me that I will eventually transfer to: 1 requires Physics 1 and 2 and only Chem 1; while the other requires Chem 1 and 2 and only Physics 1.
Both are state schools, and this was the BSME curriculum.
At this point, I may take all 4 classes until I decide which school to go to.
To the OP, I was wondering the same questions. Why the discrepancies?