General Chemistry II - What to Know?

In summary, the individual has changed their major back to Physics and will need to complete General Chemistry II. They have a month in between classes to catch up on the basics, which include topics such as chemical kinetics, equilibria, acids and bases, entropy and free energy, precipitation reactions, electrochemistry, main group chemistry, nuclear chemistry, metallic bonding theories, hybridization, and introductory organic chemistry. The only prerequisite is General Chemistry I and it is recommended to review moles, stoichiometry, periodic table trends, and plug and chug formulas before the class begins. It is also advised to stay on top of the material, especially acid/base chemistry and electrochemistry, and to review these topics before the professor covers them in class
erok81
So I've changed my major back to Physics and will now need to go back and complete General Chemisty II. It's been about three years so as you can imagine I've forgotten most of what I learned. I still have my book and notebooks from class though.

I know this will vary tremendously between schools, so advice will be taken with a grain of salt...whatever that means. ;)

What are the absolute basics I need to know in order to suceeed in the class? I'll have about a month inbetween classes to catch up on whatever I need to know.

Here is the course description:

Chemical kinetics, equilibria, acids and bases, entropy and free energy, precipitation reactions, electrochemistry, main group chemistry, nuclear chemistry,metallic bonding theories, hybridization, intro to organic chemistry

The only pre-req is Gen Chem I.

Physics news on Phys.org
erok81 said:
What are the absolute basics I need to know in order to suceeed in the class? I'll have about a month inbetween classes to catch up on whatever I need to know.

Gen Chem II topics are basically stand alone. If you are familiar with moles, stoichiometry, trends in the periodic table and are comfortable using plug and chug formulas, you'll be fine.

My advice would be to stay on top of the material because acid/base chemistry and electro chemistry can get away from you if you aren't careful. I'd use a week or two of that month to go over those Gen Chem II topics before the Prof does in class just to give yourself a head start.

Thanks for the help. I vaguely remember those things...so I guess it's time to start studying. :)

I'll check out those other topics ahead of time as well.

1. What are the main topics covered in General Chemistry II?

General Chemistry II typically covers topics such as chemical equilibrium, acid-base chemistry, electrochemistry, thermodynamics, and kinetics.

2. How does General Chemistry II differ from General Chemistry I?

General Chemistry II builds upon the concepts learned in General Chemistry I and delves deeper into topics such as equilibrium, acids and bases, and electrochemistry. It also introduces new topics such as thermodynamics and kinetics.

3. What are some key skills that are important for success in General Chemistry II?

Some important skills for success in General Chemistry II include a strong understanding of basic chemistry principles, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and the ability to work with mathematical equations and formulas.

4. What are some common challenges that students face in General Chemistry II?

Some common challenges that students may face in General Chemistry II include understanding complex concepts, performing calculations and solving equations, and managing a large amount of information.

5. How can I prepare for General Chemistry II?

To prepare for General Chemistry II, it is important to review and understand the material covered in General Chemistry I. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills, and familiarizing yourself with key equations and concepts can also be helpful.