1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Chemistry II - What to Know?

1. Nov 24, 2009 #1
    So I've changed my major back to Physics and will now need to go back and complete General Chemisty II. It's been about three years so as you can imagine I've forgotten most of what I learned. I still have my book and notebooks from class though.

I know this will vary tremendously between schools, so advice will be taken with a grain of salt...whatever that means. ;)

What are the absolute basics I need to know in order to suceeed in the class? I'll have about a month inbetween classes to catch up on whatever I need to know.

Here is the course description:

The only pre-req is Gen Chem I.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2009 #2
    Gen Chem II topics are basically stand alone. If you are familiar with moles, stoichiometry, trends in the periodic table and are comfortable using plug and chug formulas, you'll be fine.

My advice would be to stay on top of the material because acid/base chemistry and electro chemistry can get away from you if you aren't careful. I'd use a week or two of that month to go over those Gen Chem II topics before the Prof does in class just to give yourself a head start.

4. Nov 25, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the help. I vaguely remember those things...so I guess it's time to start studying. :)

I'll check out those other topics ahead of time as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook