Advice on Taking a 6 week General Chemistry 1 Class

In summary, if you're a student new to chemistry, it would be a good idea to review the material now, take the class, and then start working through problems from the textbook. Taking a condensed course is not a good idea and will not help you succeed in this class.
Johnx014
Hello,

I'm currently enrolled in a 6 week General Chemistry 1 class that starts in January. The class meets about 5 hours a day Monday - Friday. I took the introductory chemistry course offered at my college this fall, and I was able to keep an A+ without much trouble. What can I do between now and the start of the next class and throughout the course of the next class to ensure I succeed?

Physics news on Phys.org
I once did something similar - took a three-week Gen Chem 2 course over the summer - we met for 7 hours/day + labs. It was the worst experience of my life.

An A is not difficult to attain; the keeping of your sanity, however, is.

If you have just taken an intro to chemistry, maybe look over your notes at any topics that have slowly leaked out of your brain, as well as any topics that you didn't fully understand. If you know which textbook you'll be using, it might be useful to go ahead and buy it to look through it... just understanding general concepts is key at this point.

Also, some advice for the course. In a short course like that, it is urgent that you never, EVER fall behind. Or you will perish.

Johnx014 said:
Hello,

I'm currently enrolled in a 6 week General Chemistry 1 class that starts in January. The class meets about 5 hours a day Monday - Friday. I took the introductory chemistry course offered at my college this fall, and I was able to keep an A+ without much trouble. What can I do between now and the start of the next class and throughout the course of the next class to ensure I succeed?

Read the textbook before the class starts and work through as many problems as possible now. The first general chemistry course is very similar to the introductory chemistry course (the one for students who didn't have chem in high school) , so most of the material will be the same.

Why on Earth would you do this to yourself though? Taking condensed science/math courses is never a good idea. Especially if you're majoring in say, physics, were general chemistry can be useful for many areas of study in physics. It's hard enough to absorb most of the pertinent material in a full 12 or 16 week class, doing it in 4-6 almost guarantees you won't build a strong foundation- unless you were already familiar with the material.

Likes micromass

1. How can I prepare for a 6 week General Chemistry 1 class?

To prepare for a 6 week General Chemistry 1 class, it is important to review basic math skills, such as algebra and unit conversions. You can also read through the course syllabus and familiarize yourself with the topics that will be covered. Additionally, you can watch online videos or read textbooks to get a head start on the material.

2. What study strategies should I use for a 6 week General Chemistry 1 class?

Some effective study strategies for a 6 week General Chemistry 1 class include attending all lectures and taking thorough notes, actively participating in class discussions and activities, practicing problems regularly, and seeking help from the instructor or tutors when needed. It is also important to stay organized and manage your time effectively.

3. How much time should I dedicate to studying for a 6 week General Chemistry 1 class?

The amount of time you should dedicate to studying for a 6 week General Chemistry 1 class will vary depending on your learning style and the difficulty of the material. However, as a general guideline, you should plan to spend at least 2-3 hours studying outside of class for every hour spent in class.

4. What are some common challenges students face in a 6 week General Chemistry 1 class?

Some common challenges students face in a 6 week General Chemistry 1 class include keeping up with the fast pace of the course, understanding complex concepts, and applying theoretical knowledge to problem-solving. It is important to actively engage with the material and seek help when needed to overcome these challenges.

5. What resources are available for students taking a 6 week General Chemistry 1 class?

There are various resources available for students taking a 6 week General Chemistry 1 class, such as textbooks, online videos, practice problems, study groups, and office hours with the instructor. Many universities also have tutoring centers where students can receive additional help. It is important to take advantage of these resources to enhance your understanding of the material and succeed in the course.