1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Engineering Dimensional Analysis

1. Jan 17, 2012 #1
    The period T of a pendulum of length L, mass m in a gravitational field g ms-2 is suspected to be a function of L, m and g. If it is postulated that
    T=KLxmygz
    where K is a dimensionless constant, use dimensional analysis to obtain the constants x, y and z.

There's only one pi group I came up with and that was g/(T2L)

other than that, I can't figure out how to begin this problem in a way that will give me an opportunity to solve for the three exponents.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2012 #2
    Start by writing out the dimensions (mass, length, time) of each of the physical quantities involved.

4. Jan 17, 2012 #3
    Ok so perhaps my attempt wasn't completely written above. I wrote down all the units, namely meters, m/s^2 for gravity and kg for mass. That's the only pi group I can think of but then I can't figure out the steps to solve for 3 individual exponents.

5. Jan 17, 2012 #4
    how about for T?

6. Jan 17, 2012 #5
    Well T=1/s which is included in my original Pi group of g/(T^2*L). But once I have one pi group, which is all I can have because I have 4 variables and only 3 basic dimensions, how do I go about relating that to solving for the variables?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but mass should not play a factor in pendulum swings. And should I use the pendulum period equation from basic physics, neglecting drag etc.?

7. Jan 17, 2012 #6
    Ok, first of all, what is a "Pi group"?

Second, your dimension (unit) for the PERIOD T is incorrect?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook