Limitations of Dimensional Analysis in Predicting Proportional Relationships

In summary, dimensional analysis can be used to predict how variables are proportional to each other, but it is limited in its ability to solve problems with multiple quantities. If there is a physical reason for a particular power of a quantity, it may be possible to find a solution using dimensional analysis. However, it should be used as a sanity check rather than a definitive method.
physics user1
Our professor introduced us to dimensional analysis and told us that we can use it to predict how some variables are proportional to others, for example:

I have a ball at a certain height and i want to know the time it requires to touch the grond, i can make a guess that it will depend on the height with dimension [L] on g.[L]/[T]^2and on the mass m [M]...
Making calculations: T~ [M]^a [L]^b [L]^c [T]^-2c and i find a=0 b= 1/2 and c= -1/2 that leads to t~h^1/2 * g^(-1/2)

But what if i said in the assumption that the time depends also on the friction force? Or the initial velocity?
Why can't i use dimensional analysis to find a relation between time and these others quantities?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you add too much quantities in the problem, the system of linear equations from which the exponents are calculated becomes under-determined, which means that you can't find a unique solution.

Likes physics user1
hilbert2 said:
If you add too much quantities in the problem, the system of linear equations from which the exponents are calculated becomes under-determined, which means that you can't find a unique solution.
So... How do i solve this problem? If i can't set a system?

Cozma Alex said:
So... How do i solve this problem? If i can't set a system?

Then it can't be solved by simple dimensional analysis. If you have too many quantities ##a,b,c,\dots## that the thing to be calculated depends on, then there are many different products ##a^\alpha b^\beta c^\gamma\dots## that have the correct dimensions, and you can't tell which one of them is correct.

Likes physics user1
hilbert2 said:
Then it can't be solved by simple dimensional analysis. If you have too many quantities ##a,b,c,\dots## that the thing to be calculated depends on, then there are many different products ##a^\alpha b^\beta c^\gamma\dots## that have the correct dimensions, and you can't tell which one of them is correct.
So there's a limit where i can go with dimensional analysis? In this case is 3 because 3 are the fundqmentals dimensions in mechanics? L, M and T?

Thanks

Cozma Alex said:
So there's a limit where i can go with dimensional analysis? In this case is 3 because 3 are the fundqmentals dimensions in mechanics? L, M and T?

Thanks

If you know some kind of a physical reason why the result should depend on a particular power of a given quantity, then you can remove one unknown from the linear system and it may become possible to find a solution by dimensional analysis. The dimensional analysis alone works only for a very limited set of problems.

hilbert2 said:
The dimensional analysis alone works only for a very limited set of problems.
For instance, the OP's example has a constant factor of ##\sqrt {2}## that cannot be detected by dimensional analysis.

I tend to regard dimensional analysis as a sanity check. If your dimensions don't match, your maths is wrong. If they do match it might be right.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical method used to convert units and solve problems involving physical quantities. It is based on the concept that physical equations must have consistent units on both sides in order to be valid.

2. Why is dimensional analysis important in science?

Dimensional analysis is important in science because it helps ensure the accuracy and consistency of measurements and calculations. It also allows for easy conversion between different units, making it a useful tool in many scientific fields.

3. How do you perform dimensional analysis?

To perform dimensional analysis, you must first identify the given units and the desired units. Then, you can use conversion factors or unit ratios to cancel out unwanted units and arrive at the desired units. Finally, check that the units on both sides of the equation are consistent.

4. What types of problems can be solved using dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis can be used to solve a variety of problems involving physical quantities, such as distance, time, mass, or volume. It can also be applied to problems involving rates, such as speed or acceleration.

5. Can dimensional analysis be used in all scientific fields?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be used in all scientific fields. It is a universal method that is applicable to any problem involving physical quantities and units. It is commonly used in physics, chemistry, engineering, and other scientific disciplines.