1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Integral Question (not a specific problem)

1. Apr 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

My book states that "The only way that we can show that the function [tex] f(x) = \sqrt {1 + x^{4}} [/tex] has an anti-derivative is to take a definite integral,

[tex]\int^{x}_{0} \sqrt {1 + t^{4}} dt[/tex]

This is a new function that cannot be expressed in terms of algebraic, trigonometric or exponential functions without calculus."

What are they really saying here? I don't understand the point. Why is the anti-derivative of
    [tex] f(x) = \sqrt {1 + x^{4}} [/tex] an integral? And why do we switch the variables from x to t with respect to t?

Second Part Of My Question

From my book:

"The Fundamental Theorem can also be used to find the derivative of a function which is defined as a definite integral with a variable limit of integration. This can be done without actually evaluating the integral."

Examples:

Let

[tex] y = \int^{2}_{x} \sqrt{1+t^{2}} dt [/tex]

then

[tex] y = - \int^{x}_{2} \sqrt{1+t^{2}} dt [/tex]

and

[tex] dy = -d( \int^{x}_{2} \sqrt{1+t^{2}}dt) = -\sqrt{1+x^{2}} dx [/tex]

My question here arises from the same thing, why do they take a negative integral before taking a derivative and why does the derivative switch from t dt to x dx? The only reason I can see from the example is that x is the upper limit of the integral.. is that why?

A second example given:

Let

[tex] y = \int^{x^{2}+x}_{3} \frac {1} {t^{3}+1} dt [/tex]

Let

[tex] u = x^{2}+x [/tex]

Then

[tex] \frac {du}{dx} = (2x+1) [/tex] ....... [tex] y = \int^{u}_{3} \frac {1}{t^{3}+1} dt [/tex]

[tex] \frac {dy}{du} = \frac {1}{u^{3}+1} [/tex]

then by the chain rule

[tex] \frac {dy}{dx} = \frac{dy}{du}\frac{du}{dx} = \frac{1}{u^{3}+1} (2x+1) = \frac {2x +1} {(x^{2}+x)^{3} +1} [/tex]

I have basically the same questions as before here, so any advice would be great.

The only thing that is after this in my book is questions for the chapter so I am kind of at a loss right now.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2010 #2
    Actually never mind, I got it, thanks anyway!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook