General matrix representation of lorentz boost

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of deriving the general matrix form of a Lorentz boost using the generators of rotations and boosts. The individual steps of rotating and boosting in different directions are shown, and then the combination of these steps is attempted. However, the resulting matrix is incorrect and the person is seeking help in understanding where they went wrong. Ultimately, it is suggested that the desired matrix can be easily obtained by inspection rather than a lengthy derivation.
highwaychile
Hello!

I'm trying to derive the general matrix form of a lorentz boost by using the generators of rotations and boosts:
b335adbcd19fc73b578845feda88875b.png

I already managed to get the matrices that represent boosts in the direction of one axis, but when trying to combine them to get a boost in an arbitrary direction I always fail; my first try was to execute the three boosts after each other, but of course this did not work :)

Then I found this thread where I learned that I've to rotate, then do a boost, and afterwards undo the rotation; but unfortunately it does not work :(

Here is what I do (I also attached my mathematica notebook):

1. Initialize the generators of rotation (s) / boosts (k):
Code:
s1 = {{0, 0, 0, 0}, {0, 0, 0, 0}, {0, 0, 0, -1}, {0, 0, 1, 0}};
s2 = {{0, 0, 0, 0}, {0, 0, 0, 1}, {0, 0, 0, 0}, {0, -1, 0, 0}};
s3 = {{0, 0, 0, 0}, {0, 0, -1, 0}, {0, 1, 0, 0}, {0, 0, 0, 0}};
k1 = {{0, 1, 0, 0}, {1, 0, 0, 0}, {0, 0, 0, 0}, {0, 0, 0, 0}};
k2 = {{0, 0, 1, 0}, {0, 0, 0, 0}, {1, 0, 0, 0}, {0, 0, 0, 0}};
k3 = {{0, 0, 0, 1}, {0, 0, 0, 0}, {0, 0, 0, 0}, {1, 0, 0, 0}};
Rot[m_, ω_] := MatrixExp[-ω*m];
Boost[m_, ζ_] := MatrixExp[-ζ*m];

2. Generate a boost in x direction:
Code:
boostX = Boost[k1, x];
3. To get a boost in y direction, I rotate around the z-axis by pi/2, then boost to x axis, then undo the rotation:
Code:
boostY = Rot[s3, -\[Pi]/2].Boost[k1, y].Rot[s3, \[Pi]/2];
4. To get a boost in z direction I do the same as above, but this time I'm rotating around the y axis:
Code:
boostZ = Rot[s2, -\[Pi]/2].Boost[k1, z].Rot[s2, \[Pi]/2];
5. Now I'm combining the boosts:
Code:
Simplify[boostX.boostY.boostZ] // MatrixForm
[itex]\left(
\begin{array}{cccc}
\frac{1}{8} e^{-x-y-z} \left(1+e^{2 x}\right) \left(1+e^{2 y}\right) \left(1+e^{2 z}\right) & -\frac{1}{2} e^{-x} \left(-1+e^{2 x}\right) & -\frac{1}{4} e^{-x-y} \left(1+e^{2 x}\right) \left(-1+e^{2 y}\right) & \frac{1}{8} e^{-x-y-z} \left(1+e^{2 x}\right) \left(1+e^{2 y}\right) \left(-1+e^{2 z}\right) \\
-\frac{1}{8} e^{-x-y-z} \left(-1+e^{2 x}\right) \left(1+e^{2 y}\right) \left(1+e^{2 z}\right) & \frac{1}{2} e^{-x} \left(1+e^{2 x}\right) & \frac{1}{4} e^{-x-y} \left(-1+e^{2 x}\right) \left(-1+e^{2 y}\right) & -\frac{1}{8} e^{-x-y-z} \left(-1+e^{2 x}\right) \left(1+e^{2 y}\right) \left(-1+e^{2 z}\right) \\
-\frac{1}{4} e^{-y-z} \left(-1+e^{2 y}\right) \left(1+e^{2 z}\right) & 0 & \frac{1}{2} e^{-y} \left(1+e^{2 y}\right) & -\frac{1}{4} e^{-y-z} \left(-1+e^{2 y}\right) \left(-1+e^{2 z}\right) \\
\frac{1}{2} e^{-z} \left(-1+e^{2 z}\right) & 0 & 0 & \frac{1}{2} e^{-z} \left(1+e^{2 z}\right) \\
\end{array}
\right)[/itex]

This result is clearly wrong as my matrix has elements that are 0 :(

I've been searching a lot what's the reason for this, but unfortunately I found no book explaining how to obtain the transformation matrix (e.g. Jackson electrodynamics leaves this as an exercise to the reader...) Can you help me, do you know what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you a lot in advance!

highwaychile

Attachments

• lorentz.nb
    13 KB · Views: 503
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
highwaychile, I'm afraid you're expending a great deal of effort trying to derive something that is instantly obvious by inspection! Does not need a lengthy derivation, and certainly does not need Mathematica.

Just look at the Lorentz matrix for a boost in the x direction:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cccc}\gamma&-\gamma\beta&0&0\\-\gamma\beta&\gamma&0&0\\0&0&1&0\\0&0&0&1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Let β be a 3-vector in the boost direction, and let n = β/β be the unit 3-vector in that same direction.

Look at the first row. The 00 component is just γ. The three 0i components form a 3-vector, -γβ. Now look at the first column. Again the i0 components form the same 3-vector, -γβ.

Finally, what's the 3x3 matrix of ij components? It's I + (γ-1)nn. Put these three pieces together and presto, you have the Lorentz matrix for a general boost.

you're right, that's a really simple solution, thank you!

1. What is the general matrix representation of Lorentz boost?

The general matrix representation of Lorentz boost is a mathematical expression that describes how coordinates and other physical quantities transform between two inertial frames of reference in special relativity. It is based on the Lorentz transformation equations, which were developed by Hendrik Lorentz in the late 19th century and later refined by Albert Einstein.

2. How is the Lorentz boost matrix constructed?

The Lorentz boost matrix is constructed using the Lorentz transformation equations, which involve the velocity of the moving frame relative to the stationary frame, as well as the speed of light. The matrix is a 4x4 matrix that includes terms for time, space, and the combination of space and time known as spacetime.

3. What is the importance of the Lorentz boost matrix in physics?

The Lorentz boost matrix is essential in understanding the behavior of objects and events in special relativity. It allows us to calculate how coordinates and physical quantities, such as length and time, are affected by the relative motion between two frames of reference. This is crucial in many areas of physics, including particle physics, cosmology, and high-speed motion.

4. Can the Lorentz boost matrix be used for any type of boost?

Yes, the Lorentz boost matrix can be used for any type of boost, including boosts in any direction and at any speed, as long as the boost is within the principles of special relativity. This includes boosts for objects moving at constant velocities as well as objects experiencing acceleration.

5. Are there any limitations to the Lorentz boost matrix?

While the Lorentz boost matrix is a powerful tool in understanding the effects of special relativity, it does have some limitations. It is only applicable to inertial frames of reference and cannot account for the effects of gravity or acceleration. Additionally, it does not apply to objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light, as it is based on the assumption of non-relativistic speeds.