General Physics essentials/summary book

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a concise book that covers the basics of classical and modern physics. Suggestions are made, including the Feynman lectures and Physics Today, but the individual stresses the need for a book less than 500 pages and specifically mentions "Physics: A Student Companion" as a potential option.
barnflakes
Does anyone have a good book which covers the basics of classical and modern physics in a concise fashion? Something like "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Tipler and Mosca but with 1/4 of the page count would be ideal.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've probably heard of them before, but the Feynman lectures are a really great resource. They're a little lengthy, but they're easy to understand, and the math is comprehensible. I also subscribe to Physics Today, which has a monthly section on recent textbooks and physics books, a decent percent of which are good for undergraduates.

I'm a graduate - I really must stress the need for conciseness. I want a book which contains most of classical and modern physics in less than 500 pages, as a reference and also to refresh some out of date physics. I can't be dealing with going through 1500 page door-stops to learn some physics.

Yes, there are several books available that cover the essentials of classical and modern physics in a concise manner. Some examples include "Essentials of Physics" by Douglas C. Giancoli, "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday and Robert Resnick, and "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Arthur Beiser. These books provide a comprehensive overview of the key concepts and principles in physics, while also being concise and easy to understand. I recommend researching these options to find the best fit for your needs.

1. What topics are covered in the "General Physics essentials/summary book"?

The book covers essential topics in general physics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, waves and optics, electricity and magnetism, and modern physics.

2. Is the book suitable for beginners in physics?

Yes, the book is designed for beginners in physics and provides a comprehensive overview of the subject. It also includes practice problems and solutions to help readers better understand the concepts.

3. Is the book up-to-date with the latest developments in physics?

Yes, the book is regularly updated to include the latest developments and discoveries in physics. The author also provides additional resources for readers to stay updated on current research.

4. Can the book be used as a reference guide for more advanced physics courses?

While the book is primarily intended for beginners, it can also serve as a helpful reference guide for more advanced physics courses. It covers the fundamental concepts and principles that are essential for understanding more complex topics in physics.

5. Does the book include practical applications of physics?

Yes, the book includes real-world examples and applications of physics principles to help readers understand how these concepts are used in everyday life. It also includes practical exercises and problems to strengthen readers' understanding of the subject.