General question - how much current is in a simple spark?

In summary, the conversation discusses the flow of current in a spark between two pins connected to a high voltage capacitor and switch. Factors such as separation, temperature, and electrode shape are mentioned, as well as the use of biot-savart and inductance of a coil. Humidity and electrode shape are noted as important factors in the arcing process. The conversation ends with a question about the formula for approximating the current in a specific scenario.
elegysix
All things being given - separation, breakdown V, temperature, and so on... If I have two pins and they are both connected to a high voltage capacitor & switch - (supposing the circuit has zero resistance aside from the separation and air)

How much current will flow in the spark which arcs between them?
(smooth surfaces if the shape of the pin is going to play into it... keep it simple for now)

two cases: one where the voltage is the bare minimum to breakdown the air, and another with excessive voltage.

--what would dβ/dt be? (can i use biot-savart ?) if I had a cleverly designed coil, so as to capture all of the magnetic flux from the current, would the current in the spark depend on the inductance of the coil?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, some of the most important factors are ones you seem to have missed or downplayed: humidity and electrode shape. Sharps points will arc more than flat surfaces because they create stronger fields locally. In fact, charge tends to leak off sharp points before it builds up enough to create visible arcing (depending on the voltage).

I'd heard a little about that, that's why I mentioned it... I mean ... if we had two spheres and we knew the separation and voltage, and temp/humidity, is there a formula for an approximation to the current? anything? where do I start with this?

1. How is current measured in a simple spark?

The unit of measurement for electric current is amperes (A). A simple spark typically has a very small current, ranging from 0.01 to 1 ampere.

2. What factors affect the amount of current in a simple spark?

The amount of current in a simple spark is affected by the voltage applied, the resistance of the conductor, and the duration of the spark. The higher the voltage, the lower the resistance, and the longer the duration, the higher the current will be.

3. Is it possible to have too much current in a simple spark?

Yes, too much current in a simple spark can be dangerous as it can lead to overheating and potential fire hazards. It is important to use proper safety precautions and adhere to voltage and resistance limits when working with electric current.

4. Can the amount of current in a simple spark be controlled?

Yes, the amount of current in a simple spark can be controlled by adjusting the voltage and resistance in the circuit. This can be done using resistors or by using a variable power supply.

5. How does the amount of current in a simple spark compare to other electrical devices?

The amount of current in a simple spark is relatively small compared to other electrical devices. For example, a typical household light bulb may use 0.5 to 1 ampere of current, while a hair dryer can use up to 15 amperes. However, even a small amount of current in a simple spark can be dangerous if proper safety precautions are not taken.