General Question Regarding Internal Energy

In summary, the internal energy of a closed system in equilibrium can be expressed as a function of temperature and volume, as stated by the author in the Physical Chemistry textbook. This is because in thermodynamic equilibrium, the average potential energy of the particles is determined by the average distance between particles (which is a function of volume) and the average translational kinetic energy (which determines the temperature). Additionally, the equipartition theorem states that the average rotational and vibrational energies are also functions of the translational kinetic energy. Therefore, the internal energy of a closed system in equilibrium can be expressed as a function of temperature and volume.
jtabije
Hi all!

I have a quick question. In my Physical Chemistry textbook, the author states,

"For a closed system in equilibrium, the internal energy (and any other state function) can be expressed as a function of temperature and volume."

Can anyone explain just how that is true? I'm quite certain I'm overlooking something fundamental here.

All the best,
JT

Physics news on Phys.org
jtabije said:
In my Physical Chemistry textbook, the author states,

"For a closed system in equilibrium, the internal energy (and any other state function) can be expressed as a function of temperature and volume."

Can anyone explain just how that is true? I'm quite certain I'm overlooking something fundamental here.
An interesting question. Here are my thoughts at least on the internal energy part:

If you generalize a system to consist of n particles, the internal energy of that system is the sum of the kinetic and potential energies of each particle. The potential energy of each particle is a function of the distance of that particle from other particles. The kinetic energy of each particle is the sum of each particle's translational, rotational, and vibrational energies.

If the system is in thermodynamic equilibrium, the average rotational kinetic energy and average vibrational energy are functions of the translational kinetic energy (this is the basis for the equipartition theory). And the average translational kinetic energy determines the temperature. Also, in thermodynamic equilibrium the average potential energy of the particles is determined by the average distance between particles, which is obviously a function of total volume.

AM

Woah, AM. I've never heard of the equipartition theorem before, but after reading about it, what you said about internal energy makes complete sense. Like I said, I overlooked something fundamental.

Thanks!

1. What is internal energy?

Internal energy is the total energy contained within a system, including the kinetic and potential energies of its particles.

2. How is internal energy related to temperature?

The internal energy of a system is directly proportional to its temperature. As temperature increases, so does the average kinetic energy of the particles in the system, resulting in an increase in internal energy.

3. What factors affect the internal energy of a system?

The internal energy of a system is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the number and types of particles present in the system.

4. Can internal energy be measured?

Yes, internal energy can be measured using thermodynamic techniques such as calorimetry or by measuring changes in temperature, pressure, and volume of a system.

5. How is internal energy different from heat and work?

Internal energy is the total energy contained within a system, while heat and work are energy transfer processes. Heat is the transfer of energy due to a temperature difference, while work is the transfer of energy due to a force acting over a distance.