Request for an example of minimum energy principle (thermodynamics)

In summary, the minimum energy principle states that internal energy is minimized at equilibrium for a system at constant entropy and volume. An example of its usage is in determining the equilibrium state of a system, such as in the free expansion of a gas in a given volume, where the principle of maximum entropy is used to maximize the volume and determine the state of equilibrium.
Simobartz
Summary: Request for an example of minimum energy principle usage

The minimum energy principle states that, for a system at constant entropy, volume and other extensive quantities, the internal energy is minimized at equilibrium. Can you give me an example in which, using this principle, is it possible to determine the equilibrium state of the system?

Science news on Phys.org
I can think of a couple of examples offhand. What searching have you been doing so far on this question? Is it for schoolwork?

Hi, it's for my personal understanding, no schoolwork

I've seen an example (it is written below) in which the principle of maximum entropy is used to determine the state of equilibrium of a system and, since the minimization of the proper potential at equilibrium is correlated to the principle of maximum energy, i thought it would be nice to think at some analogous examples involving thermodynamic potentials. So, examples in which minimization of the proper potentials is used to find the equilibrium state.
To start with I've tried to figure out an example involving internal energy for constant volume and entropy but i have difficulty with the constant entropy require.

The examples in which principle of maximum entropy is used to determine the state of equilibrium of a system: consider the free expansion of a gas in a volume ##V##. Will the gas occupy the entire available volume? The answer is, of course, yes.
Indeed we have ##dU=TdS-pdV=0## from which ##dS/dV=P/T>0##. So the entropy increases with the volume and since the equilibrium maximize the entropy it also maximize the volume.

Likes vanhees71

What is the minimum energy principle in thermodynamics?

The minimum energy principle in thermodynamics states that a system will always seek to minimize its energy and reach a state of equilibrium.

How does the minimum energy principle relate to thermodynamics?

The minimum energy principle is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics, as it helps explain the behavior and changes of energy in a system.

Can you provide an example of the minimum energy principle in action?

One example of the minimum energy principle is the process of heat transfer. When two objects of different temperatures are in contact, heat will transfer from the hotter object to the colder one until both reach the same temperature, minimizing the energy difference between them.

Why is the minimum energy principle important in thermodynamics?

The minimum energy principle is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of energy in various systems, from simple heat transfer to more complex thermodynamic processes.

Does the minimum energy principle apply to all thermodynamic systems?

Yes, the minimum energy principle applies to all thermodynamic systems, regardless of their size or complexity. It is a fundamental principle that governs the behavior of energy in all physical systems.