General relativity, Electromagnetism and Feynman Diagrams

In summary, the conversation discusses the linearity and nonlinearity in Newtonian gravity and general relativity. It is explained that in general relativity, the gravitational field couples to itself, which is a form of nonlinearity. This is illustrated using Feynman diagrams and it is noted that in electromagnetism, which is linear, there is no self-coupling term. This means that photons do not exchange photons with each other in this theory. However, in general relativity, which is nonlinear, there is a self-coupling term, leading to the possibility of photons exchanging photons.
LCSphysicist
TL;DR Summary
Currently I am re-reading Sean Carrol, general relativity. But a thing got me stuck in, I can't understand what he is talking about.
We are discussing the introduction to Einstein field equation, so he start talk about the linearity in Newtonian gravity and the non linearity in GR. But there is somethings I am missing:

> " (...) in GR the gravitational field couples to itself (...) A nice way to think about this is provided by Feynman diagrams (...) There is no diagram in which two photons exchange another photons between themselves, because electromagnetism is linear."

Particularly, I can't understand these citations.

First I am not sure what means a field to couples to itself, but I think it means it is linearity so the field in a point add linearity.

And I couldn't understand how does the fact that that the electromagnetism is linear imply that photons do not exchange photons between, I can see these both statements are right, but can't see the connection between them, so that one implies the other.

Physics news on Phys.org
LCSphysicist said:
I am not sure what means a field to couples to itself, but I think it means it is linearity

No, it means nonlinearity. A linear field has no self-coupling. A nonlinear field does have self-coupling.

LCSphysicist said:
I couldn't understand how does the fact that that the electromagnetism is linear imply that photons do not exchange photons

Because if the field equation is linear, as Maxwell's Equations are, then the corresponding quantum field theory has no self-coupling term (because such a term would have two factors of the field, so it wouldn't be linear in the field), so there is no photon-photon coupling term in quantum electrodynamics.

The Einstein Field Equation, however, is nonlinear, so the corresponding QFT would have a self-coupling term.

More details in this series of Insights articles (the link is to the first of 3):

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/does-gravity-gravitate/

Likes LCSphysicist, vanhees71 and PeroK

1. What is General Relativity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes how massive objects, such as planets and stars, curve the fabric of space-time, causing objects to move towards them.

2. How does Electromagnetism work?

Electromagnetism is a fundamental force of nature that describes the interaction between electrically charged particles. It is responsible for the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, as well as the movement of charged particles.

3. What are Feynman Diagrams?

Feynman Diagrams are a graphical representation of mathematical equations used to describe particle interactions in quantum field theory. They were developed by physicist Richard Feynman and are used to calculate the probability of particle interactions.

4. How does General Relativity relate to Electromagnetism?

General Relativity and Electromagnetism are both fundamental theories of physics that describe different aspects of the universe. General Relativity explains the behavior of gravity, while Electromagnetism explains the interaction between electrically charged particles.

5. What are the practical applications of Feynman Diagrams?

Feynman Diagrams are used in theoretical physics to calculate the probability of particle interactions. They have been used to make predictions about the behavior of subatomic particles, which has led to advancements in fields such as particle physics and cosmology.